Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

pilkguns
Site Admin

Air Rifle loan program concept

Post by pilkguns »

I go the below information from the director of YSSA, Mr. Steve Miller

ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL AIR RIFLE PROGRAM LEADERS

The Youth Shooting Sports Alliance (YSSA) is considering expanding their Shooting Sports Equipment Loan Program to include match air rifles. For several years, the YSSA, in cooperation with the Gander Mountain Company, has made selected shooting sports equipment items available on loan to qualified youth shooting sports programs. The current inventory of loaner firearms includes .22 caliber rifles; 12 ga. and 20 ga. shotguns; and .22 caliber pistols. The inventory also includes BB guns and archery equipment.

Realizing the import role played by high school shooting teams in the introduction and retention of new shooters, the YSSA wants to determine the level of receptivity by air rifle program leaders to having an inventory of match air rifles available on loan for the school year. The YSSA is focusing on acquiring Hammerli AR20 match air rifles from Walther Arms to add to their loaner equipment inventory. The loan period is proposed from August thru June. This initiative is a loan and not a rental program. The YSSA will pay the shipping cost to the selected high school programs and ask only that the program bear the return shipping cost to the location designated by the YSSA. Shooting accessories will not be included in the equipment loan.

The YSSA respectfully requests feedback no later than March 30, 2013 from interested high school air rifle program leaders regarding this proposal. The YSSA needs to know how many air rifles your respective program will require; if the proposed loan term meets your program needs; if the loan program will enable your team to raise sufficient funds to acquire your own air rifles in the succeeding year; and any other factors that you wish to be considered in finalizing the air rifle loan plan.

You are welcomed and encouraged to contact post your thoughts
Last edited by pilkguns on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I would like to see some feedback on this forum about this proposal as is, and also maybe, what could be improved. I am thinking since most of the junior air action is sporter, would it be helpful to help sporter only clubs or JROTCs by upgrading to new more effective equipment.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

When I talk to high school/JROTC coaches that are from all over the US, the biggest reason they give me for not having precision in their program is lack of equipment... mostly rifles.

I think an injection of precision guns into the junior programs is a most welcome concept.
I'd like to see it also used for regular clubs too .... we're not all high school clubs ... many are local or 4-H only clubs.

Personally, I'd be a bit wary of the AR20 as our schools here bought into the AR50s a few years ago and they are never seen now as they broke frequently and guns had to be torn apart for spares to keep a few going until spares ran out. IMO Walther should have dumped the Hammerli name as, at least here, it leaves a bad taste in many club's mouths. Lots of dollars were pretty much wasted.
But, I'll admit, I've not studied the AR20 and Walther says it's completely redesigned.

Off the shelf Jackets/Pants are comparatively inexpensive, boots can be replaced with skating shoes at first.

Upgrading to more expensive clothing would probably have to come at the shooters family's expense. I know here in New Mexico, where we do get good support from Friends of NRA in terms of rifles/ammo/etc, shooting clothing clothing is never considered anymore ... in the past, too much of that money went to custom gear that fit only one shooter instead of generic sizes that could be easily re-used.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

I think this is a great way to advance the sport! I agree with Jhmartin that it would be nice to extend this to 4-H and other legitimate shooting clubs as well.

I passed this on to one of my states JROTC coaches. Hopefully he will chime in and maybe pass this along to the other JROTC programs in our state. I know from talking to them that the funds for air rifles is a very limiting factor for them.

It is really good to see retailers like Gander Mountain doing this. Bass Pro Shops has also been sponsoring some air rifle matches. My daughter shot in a Bass Pro match in both Ozark, MO and Leeds, Alabama. Thanks to them and all the other business out there that provide money, equipment and facilities to the shooting sports community!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

jhmartin wrote: But, I'll admit, I've not studied the AR20 and Walther says it's completely redesigned.
I've gotten to handle one of these rifle here at Ft Benning this weekend. I must say that the price point for this rifle is excellent for a good looking and (looks like) well made rifle. I hope that the NRA Grant store begins to carry these as well as the AP20 air pistol for the beginning to intermediate level precision guns that many clubs need.

A nice set of guns (the AR20 and AP20) that will allow growth in the shooter to get to the point where they can decide that if they are wanting to continue they can get a more capable gun.

Quite a few club shooters this weekend are shooting these already.
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

I'm interested. I'm just now beginning all the learning and planning necessary to start a competitive rifle program at my local high school (grade 7-12), so if I'm off base on any of the following comments, excuse my ignorance (I'm really a rapid fire pistol guy, which makes starting a youth program even more of a challenge). Like most who have experience in this area, it seems that the two biggest hurdles (once you get someone willing to run the program) are rifle costs and a location to shoot. I've got the location part addressed, I'm now beginning to work on a plan for the rifles. A rifle rental or loan program, even if it's only available the first year or two of a program, would be fantastic. Right now I'm probably going to have to start as a sporter air program because it just doesn't make sense, even if someone can afford it, to spend $1500 to $3000 on the cost of a precision air rifle for a kid who is just starting out and doesn't even know if they like it. But the down side to starting with sporter is the difficulties of trying to transition to precision down the road- do you transition one kid or a few kids to precision, but then end up with essentially two teams (if there are even enough kids to have both a sporter and precision team), or do you switch over all of the kids at once to precision? Being able to start everyone at precision would make a big difference in the long term strength of the program.

One recommendation I would have is for them to consider incorporating some sort of purchase program into this, i.e., having the option to purchase one or more of the guns at the end of the rental/loan period.

Thanks,
Ted
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

I am part of a high school program coaching. I would say I am not so interested in the Walther rifles. I guess if I get them and they are maintained for free.....I might reconsider.

They don't hold up. Programs here are working to replace the rifles for a longer term, easier to maintain system. This may not be as much of an issue if you all are willing to make the repairs to the regulators. That is what we find fails the most. Our state repair person doesn't work on Walthers. Define the shipping. USPS or UPS? Shipping here is a killer with UPS and the number of Walther rifles that need to get repaired from just 1 program with 20 rifles. Our district purchased them because the cost was lower. Not better.

It might be a good way to get some other schools here going on a program. I will forward this onto some instructors for ROTC and schools here as well.