Shocking changes to National 3P Air Rifle Championships

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

OK ...
So I got a letter today from the NRAs Dian Bullock.
My team was selected as one of the teams submitted by the NRA.

Kinda funny as 2 of my shooters that shot the sectional have aged out of CMP 3-P Air competitions.

This is really kinda messed up.
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

The Three Position Air Rifle National Championship Program will be posted shortly on the CMP website. Yes, this is a joint competition between the CMP, NRA and USAS.

Rule discrepancies between the 3P Council and NRA Rule books will be addressed in the program, including Junior Eligibility.

Online Registration will begin Monday, 13 May.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

1) When will the program be available?

2) When will the State JO Qualifiers be notified?
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

1 and 2 - Monday, 13 May.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

One more item to address before Monday ---

Since there will be some "rule discrepancies" between each of the governing bodies individual rules:

1) Will CMP honor CMP national records set?

2) Will NRA honor NRA national records set?

This needs to be determined before the shooters show up for the match.
(Better double & triple check on the NRA ... they don't even honor records set at their own sectionals unless they are "registerd tournaments" and every single "i" in the match program is dotted.)
ALLEN JAYNES

Post by ALLEN JAYNES »

and well were at it can the squadding be done from east to west , i think for Alaska 4 and Hawaii 6 hours difference in time for us 3 hours
the east coast gain an hour , probably should not of said anything as we will be on the 8:00 all week
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

Just wanted to let you all know we have to make a few changes to the program, unrelated to questions posted on here. The program will be posted later this week. Apologies for the delay.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Thanks - will that impact the notification as well?
Gundog

State JO Qualifiers

Post by Gundog »

Can't find the JO State Qualifiers-am I missing something-thought they were posting on Monday. Thanks
rbdono2

Post by rbdono2 »

Programs have been posted. Registration will begin tomorrow afternoon.
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

Where is the program posted - I can't seem to find it.
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

In case anyone else was having problems with the invite list
http://thecmp.org/3p/National/2013Natio ... ifiers.pdf
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

ravensedge wrote:In case anyone else was having problems with the invite list
http://thecmp.org/3p/National/2013Natio ... ifiers.pdf
Thanks for posting. I couldn't get anywhere either.
caveman

What do you think?

Post by caveman »

OK, now that it’s over and the dust has settled what are your thoughts on how it went? Do you have any ideas on how to improve this match or selection process for next year?

I thought it was very well run and an excellent experience for those that attended. There were 34 teams and a total of 178 individual competitors in precision and 27 teams and 133 total individual competitors in sporter that participated this year. I’m not sure if any top shooters got shut out this year but the lowest qualifying score to make the finals was 588 on day 1 (NRA) and 589 day 2 & 3 (USA &CMP) in the precision class so the competition was first class.

Rmarsh,

If I have this right; congratulation to your daughter for an excellent performance, and thank you for making the trip and helping to “raise the bar” in this match.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Yes .... Congrats to Elizabeth Marsh!
A great shooter and is an up & coming star!

Note that she would NOT have been invited unless others had declined. I think the invite process is broken as such and is weighted against the individual shooters and heavily towards teams that have money to travel to the qualifying events.

On the individuals, I think they should absolutely bring back the automatic qualifying scores.
caveman

3P air Champs

Post by caveman »

Jhmartin,

Do you remember what the automatic qualifying score was in the past?

The minimum invite score for precision individuals this year was 586 for JOs (Elizabeth), 584 for NRA sectionals, and 570.5 (1141 two day total) for CMP nationals. There was 47 unused firing point (still allowing 5 hospital points per relay), some were from individuals that didn’t accept invitation but many were from teams that did not take an alternate (5th shooter, like the team I took down). I would think they could extend the individual invites from those teams not taking an alternate.
jhmartin

Re: 3P air Champs

Post by jhmartin »

caveman wrote:Do you remember what the automatic qualifying score was in the past?.

I don't think the score is the only limiting factor ... it's the travel. They used to try and ping-pong between west & east coast.

Small clubs and individual shooters are usually limited to one, maybe two trips per year.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

From a previous post it appears that there were not 42 teams as planned. Why were these unused invitations not given to the next team on the results bulletin?
caveman

turn out

Post by caveman »

SRichieR

The 2nd round invitations didn’t come out until the 2nd week of June and with only 4 week to make arrangements not to many team were able to make it there. Perhaps they could consider “over booking” the 2nd round on a first come first serve basis.