Jr. Smallbore rifle

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

RED RAIDER

Jr. Smallbore rifle

Post by RED RAIDER »

Our club has several 9-10 year olds. I am looking for a starter gun for them to use in indoor 3P smallbore matches. Dont want to empty the check book on this but need a starter gun. What advice do yall have?
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Not what you want to hear, I will admit that upfront, but for the $ and age I would focus on 3P Indoor Air Rifle. We have alot of kids that start our program at 8-10 yrs old and the basics need the focus. I find using the indoor air rifle, I can get them into lighter guns and they have a better time. We usually start them at 25-ft and progress to 10 meters.

As for .22 rifles, most of our transitional kids use Savage MarkII FVT it helps with the weight, gives them a peep sight, and lets them start to work on smallbore. If they are full gear, jackets, pants etc, the sling is a bit awkward because it has a fixed pin and cant slide so hand placement becomes an issue and the stock butt is a bit long. The younger kids have a bigger issue with the stock butt length and usually tuck it under their arms until their length of pull is correct. I do like the accutrigger to help break them into the 2 stage trigger. The next level guns are a big jump in price, weight, and probably better situated for kids with more experience, BUT there are 10 and 11 year olds out there that can handle them (however they have been shooting for 3-4 years).
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

Most of these kids are already shooting sporter air 3P.
DesertShooter

Post by DesertShooter »

At the program I help coach at we shoot precision small bore. Not sure if that is what you are planning on doing. For kids 8-10 depending on how big they are we either have them on Remington 510's or we have a couple of the older chipmunks that are actually good rifles unlike what they make now. For the bigger ones of that age group we have Anschutz achievers.
bugman1955

jr.smallbore rifle

Post by bugman1955 »

Kimber also makes a fine smallbore rifle for juniors.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

What are y'alls thoughts on the Izhmash CM-2 Youth?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

RED RAIDER wrote:What are y'alls thoughts on the Izhmash CM-2 Youth?
We have 4 and love them.
GCSInc

Re: jr.smallbore rifle

Post by GCSInc »

bugman1955 wrote:Kimber also makes a fine smallbore rifle for juniors.
Really!?!? I don't think so, UNLESS you cut down the Barrel and lighten the rifle by about 2lbs min. Then there is the whole "adjustable" stock issue. Lot's of additional costs, and money down the drain. Pick one: (Savage, CZ, CM-2, etc) or save you money and invest in a 1903 / 1907 series Anschutz (or similar) Rifle. Kimbers are good Sand Bag or Benchrest rifles. Not something for 9 - 12 year olds.

In my humble opinion.
GCSInc

CZ 452

Post by GCSInc »

CZ 452 Varmint Special in a PDC Custom Stock
Attachments
The Ole Mill Range Smallbore Special small.jpg
GCSInc

Another View

Post by GCSInc »

Another View
Attachments