Trying to find .22 ammunition

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

PaulB

Trying to find .22 ammunition

Post by PaulB »

Any suggestions on finding .22 practice ammo at a reasonable price? Three months ago I was able to buy CCI standard velocity in cardboard boxes (00035) for about $280/case. Now all of my normal suppliers are out of this and all other "low end" practice ammos. The same case of ammo that I bought from one company at $280 is now sold on GunBroker by the same company for $459. This "run on ammo" is really going to hurt junior and collegiate programs that did not have the foresight or the funds to stock up.
montster

Try This

Post by montster »

Go to big box store that sells ammunition. Ask to speak to manager for sporting goods. Make your case about needing ammo for your program. Ask to get a heads up when a shipment is coming in. Be there that day to buy it when the store opens. Worked well for a friend 4 years ago. He was able to purchase what he needed. Store manager relaxed the 4 box max policy and he was able to keep his youth group on the range.

I do a few merit badge classes a year and offer a few shooting sessions for very basic start to 3 position for scouts. I am so glad I keep 1 case ahead of my needs so I can make it 1 year. If it is this bad in 1 year it will be very sad. I can feel for those who have programs needing a lot more rounds than what I do.

Stock up on air rifles and pellets. We have done this as insurance in case things get even worse.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

You could always contact a manufacturer and see if they have any they'd be willing to ship to you. I know for the summer camp I work at we keep about 125-150 thousand rounds in stock just in case since we go through about two cases a week. We were able to get our hands on some CCI "factory seconds" which, although technically junk rounds, performed marvelously out of our Savage Mark IIs.
Texdance

Post by Texdance »

Luckily I saw the fearful run on ammo coming, just as it did 4 years ago and will again 4 years from now if the "wrong person" is elected. Even so, my stockpile for the 4H shooters is diminishing, and if supplies are nil six months from now I will have to find some or quit.

I've been thinking of a mass email to the 600 members of my rifle club, asking each to donate a box or some other small amount, whatever they can spare. The club could offer fair value reimbursement if needed for larger amounts. However, a 5% response of a box each would net only three bricks, better than nothing but only a two-session supply for our club.

Any club with a community following might make an appeal through a newspaper article or social media. Ammo age requirements must be met of course.