Crosman Challenger 2009 Improvements?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

GCSInc

Crosman Challenger 2009 Improvements?

Post by GCSInc »

What improvements have you made (locally) to your Crosman Challenger 2009s?

If Crosman were to come out with an upgraded model, what would you want them to improve / change?

1. I'd like to improve the Cocking Handle. Change to maybe a verticle ring, so that it doesn't bend the charging handle if the rifle falls over onto it's side.

2. I'd like a straight buttplate (no curve) that's maybe "non skid".

3. Possibly a longer air cylinder / barrel (or a short Bloob Tube) for more air capacity and more shots between refills.

I don't think any of these things would require a Council Rule Change so long as the cost of the guns stays under the cap.

Just a few things from my wish list...

Roy
metalsmith

Challenger 2009 thoughts

Post by metalsmith »

Locally we are a 4-H sporter club, so we don't get into stock adjustments-

but the ability to set the rear site forward or back consistantly would be good. notches, a scale etc. Not just between positions, but different shooters.

The ability to shoot a match on one air charge. and I don't mean a 4x10
This would mean a larger air cylinder, either longer or larger in diameter- just keep the weight to a minimum. and pellet velocity consistant. (I don't ask for much do I?)

The finish does seem slick, just a little rougher would be good.

the Kids do struggle with the charging handle. They do best with the eye cup off. I don't know what would be better, ambidextrious is still essential.

The bigest complaint I hear when we shoot is they're heavy. These ae 12 year olds remember

Bear in mind I have not memorized the Sporter rule book, some of this may not be legal.

Kevin
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Our kids have a few issues that I know they would like to see cleared up. When in 3P air, the action (pulling it back) upsets the kneeling and prone position when they are set and have their slings on. They would also like a more nonskid butt plate and cheek piece. for some reason the cheek piece gets really slick.

Our 2009s makes it through a normal USA Shooting 60 shot MAR competition (including sighters) so not sure why the previous post was suggesting longevity? It has ample air to make it through any 4-H course of fire as well. My son (11) doesnt mind the weight but he shoots a 7.6 lb FWB and 10.5lb Anschutz in precision, so I can see where it takes some time to build up. I wouldnt put one of our 9 or 10 year old shooters on it.

One concern he has is the trigger length of pull seems to be pretty long, but this could just be since he is used to more precision triggers that have light second stages.
metalsmith

Challenger ability to shoot a match

Post by metalsmith »

I mentioned that it would be good if a Challenger could shoot a 3x40 match without charging. (Actually I said something like, more then a 3x10.....)

This is from the measured velocity of the pellet, Fully charged, I get 540 fps. after 80 shots I get 488 fps. I feel a 10% drop in pellet velocity is detrimental to it's accuarcy.

Am I wrong? my tests show the pellet drops a half a ring more after 80 shots. This is out of the box, The adjustments that Crosman says is the balance between velocity and accuracy.

Kevin
409impala1

charging handle

Post by 409impala1 »

I modified a ch2000, with a charge handle extension from an AR15. worked slick and no more problems....
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Regarding the reach to the trigger.
If the Crosman has a screw behind the trigger guard that is probably the problem. Similar to the Daisy x53 series where the screw holds the rear of the receiver down into the stock.
BUT, that screw is right where you want to position the pistol grip. The only option to retain access to that screw is to position the pistol grip rearwards, which is what both Crosman and Daisy did. This is what the AirForce Edge did right, they positioned the pistol grip where it should be, right behind the trigger.