Crosman Challenger 2009S setup

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

metalsmith

Crosman Challenger 2009S setup

Post by metalsmith »

We have aquired 2 2009s for our club and have been working on setting them up. We found the pellets they like, and several of us have attempted to adjust groups into the middle of the bull. We both have trouble with one click up is just above the 10, one click down is just below the ten.

Air pressure was filled after 40 shoots

We have discussed decreasing or increasing the pellet velocity, (they are "factory set" at this time) This led to the idea at a slower velocity we need to test which pellet shoots best again. Neither of us like the idea of a 1/2 click.

So, is there a trick to this? I let my daughter shoot one and was a consistant 1/2 pellet low from her call.

thanks for any suggestions!
Kevin Taylor
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I'd just say replace the sights but that's just me, I've actually been thinking about going back to my old Diana sights instead of my current FWB sights just because my Diana sights get 20 clicks per revolution as opposed to the 12 my FWB sights get. As far as I can tell your sights are being out shot by both the rifle and the shooter and the only way to keep the accuracy there is by getting a better sight set.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea. :)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well, they are probably planning on shooting in sporter comps, so they cannot go with a different sight.

Are you shooting from a rest or from a position (P-S-K)? If from a rest, I'd say that's a good test for the pellet selection, but not what the shooter will really be shooting. They're gonna have some wobble in position. Even if you get it dead on from a rest, EACH POSITION will be different and require re-zeroing for any individual shooter in each position.

Those rear sights are probably Crosman Gamo and you should expect about 3 clicks per ring ... probably no more than that.
The kids should "shoot a square" with the rifles and sights to see how many clicks per ring their gun setup shoots.

Another question ... are you using the stock or a clear front aperture? The stock ones may not be centering??? Try some of the clears.

If you have a chronograph, you could look at the speed of the pellet ... max is 600 fps by rule, but most of the sporters fire about 530-540 fps ... so yeah, you could easily dial it down to that, but then your pellet choice may change.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

What about installing a thin sheet metal (coke can - or beer if you prefer) between the sight and the receiver?
metalsmith

Post by metalsmith »

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your ideas. We are definately a sporter club. Not a lot if any precision in Nebraska for Juniors.

we actually shot the pellet tests from a Caldwell lead sled for best group. We then adjusted sights and moved to a Prone position and shot.

I like the idea of having the kids shoot the square, this will give them experiance adjusting sights, and the confidence of knowing what each click will do for them.

Kevin
rmarsh

crossman challenger

Post by rmarsh »

My daughter is a precision shooter, but we have a crossman challenger that she uses for 4-H. Our state 4-H program is only sporter.

I don't know about the sights. I did not have that type of problem with ours. One suggestion though. You mentioned adjusting the pellet velocity. I turned ours all the way up, Accuracy remained the same, but velocity is much greater. If you don't have the manual to tell you how to make the adjustments send me a PM and I will scan and email the instructions for you.

I use a part salvaged from a palm rest that I attach to the accessory T rail and then clamp into a vise. It makes for a great way to test pellet accuracy. With my Walther precision guns I can shoot 10 shot strings that look like they have only had one pellet shot though them. I suggest something like that to determine accuracy. It is really hard to tell for sure without the gun clamped into a vise.

Before you get too wound up over the sights, I would also suggest YOU shoot the rifle before you declare the sights to be messed up. Sand bag it up really good and shoot 10 shot groups. Including the one we have, our club members have 3 of them. We have not had that problem with the factory sights. I would be very surprised if it adjusts two rings per click as you are seeing. Like someone else said, I think ours is probably 3, maybe 4 clicks per ring.