Standard pistol practice

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

proneshooter

Standard pistol practice

Post by proneshooter »

Just wondering how long before a beginner should be allowed to shoot standard and do you practice the raised position before allowing the shooter to start from forty five degrees. When should they have their finger in the trigger guard and start taking up the first stage from the forty five degree position. Thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I have a junior ... 16 years old. Tore up her left shoulder at school hauling a darn backpack around (they don't have lockers) last year. Cannot shoot rifle anymore because the sling wants to pull her shoulder back out ... lots of pain.

Started her on air pistol in September ... goal is to get her into the JOs this year and I believe she'll make it.

Started her on Sport Pistol only about 4 weeks ago, and we're all learning. Took her up to C-Springs for the PTO at the OTC this past weekend. No chips out of the floor, no frame hits, was a bit low on the score, but the weekend before we went up she shot a 250 precision and 240 RF.

I feel totally comfortable with putting a pistol in her hand and having her go at it. The main thing is that she is physically strong enough to do precision hold w/ 1 hand and is mature enough to be safe with the muzzle.
In terms of the trigger finger ... she has it on the trigger in precision while at rest on the bench, and in RF from after she is in postiion and performing test raises after the "LOAD" command.

She shoots a simple MK-II clone that her father has installed a more precision rear sight (from Midway I think?) and a set of Herret National Grips.

We did not go thru PPP with her for the above reasons and I'm anticipating her attending the JOs in April in both events.
feillins

Post by feillins »

When I started to learn shooting I used 25 yards which is for me a good place to start with.

Last edited by feillins on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

feillins wrote:When I started to learn shooting I used 25 yards which is for me a good place to start with.
Good point --- we shoot and practice mostly on reduced targets at 50ft
(B33 & B39)
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

I would ask - why start with standard pistol instead of Sport Pistol? Standard pistol isn't a significant event, as all juniors shoot Sport Pistol in the Junior Olympics. If the goal is really to learn standard pistol for some reason, then I would have had them start with an air pistol, learning the basics and getting to the point where they can keep most shots in the black. Then progress to presision shooting with a .22 to the same point. Next, I would not have the shooter shooting a 5 shot series until after they can shoot a single shot at a time from the 45 degree position consistently in the black in 3 seconds or less. Then progress to two shots, three shots, etc. using 20 second series timing. Finally, take on the 10 second series.
pastevez

Re: Standard pistol practice

Post by pastevez »

I remember when my father teach me how to shoot a gun for the first time and we used a Bersa Thunder 9 Pro its feeling nervous but its awesome fun. :)
Only the keychain kubotan knows what goes on in the heart of a pumpkin.