Jack-of-all-trades

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

pcw

Jack-of-all-trades

Post by pcw »

I'm in a quandary about purchasing a rifle for my 10 and 14 yr old kids to use as an introduction to more disciplined shooting. I would like to introduce them to 3p shooting. They shoot regularly with our local 4H program, but that is really just bench rest shooting. We have in our program several Savage mk I's, which without a hand stop or sling and with the plastic stock, I don't really want to use to teach them 3p.

They have both gone to a very good biathlon program 2 hrs from here and really enjoyed it (they are both nordic skiers). I have been planing on getting a Savage mk II through the CMP and getting a biathlon stock for it because I figured they could use it for both basic 3p and summer biathlon training, but I recently noticed the Anschutz Achiever is a repeating model and now I'm curious about it.

I've done a little research on the Achiever and I intend to makes some calls about it on Monday (Neal Stepp etc). I read where it has a 5066 trigger and the 1903 action is supposed to be nicer, I also saw where a heavy barrel was once made, but I didn't find much more than that. My search here did show that there are a lot of them in junior programs. My basic questions are: would it be a more satisfying rifle than the Savage; is it based on the 64 action; is it worth upgrading (adjustable butt and cheek piece, rail); can it be upgraded with 1903 parts; do the Savage magazines fit it?

I have read here many times that the best advice is just to suck it up and buy a 1907 and I really believe that is the case, but even a used 1907 is way out of my price range (though the cut down 54 that's listed now is tempting) without knowing if the kids will really want to get serious. I'm open to other suggestions and I know I'm trying to buy one gun to do too many things but whats a dad to do?

Thanks,
Philip
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

In our 4-H club, I like to make sure the kids will stick with the program before plunking down >$1K for a rifle.

We use inexpensive CM-2s to introduce new and intermediate shooters to smallbore 3-P. We have taken these and replaced the stock handstop rail with a Daisy 888 rail and knocked off the front sight and installed a Medesha extension tube and a Crosman (airgun) front sight.

All told I think this will run about $600 today.

The CM-2 is accurate and I've had 2 shooters qualify for the JOs shooting these. The trigger is the only thing I think that prevents most good shooters from firing in the 580's for 3x20.

Go down to the middle of the page on this thread and you'll see what this looks like before we put the Daisy rail on:
viewtopic.php?t=22266&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
pcw

Post by pcw »

Hey Joel,

That's part of my problem, there is no program other than our 4H program that they can participate in and the best rifles we have are the Savages. If I were focused only on 3p I would buy a CM-2 today. I would be willing to spend the money and take the NRA instructors course if the kids demonstrate an interest.

Right now I don't even have access to a rifle with a handstop and sling so I want to get them shooting somehow. The best program within 2 hours drive is the biathlon program and I can get a biathlon sized spinner target to take up to our range so that makes me interested in a repeater.

Like I say, I know I'm trying to do too much with one rifle, but money is tight as always and I'm wondering if 500 dollars on an Achiever would be better than spending 235 on a Savage and then immediately spending more money on restocking it. The Achiever at least has a wood stock, so I could easily put a rail on it.

I really do appreciate your advice,
Philip
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

OK ... an opinion ... if the Achiever has aperture sights, go with that.
Some already have rails.

My youngest borrowed one years ago & the trigger will be better than the Savage I think
txjm

achiever

Post by txjm »

"I've done a little research on the Achiever and I intend to makes some calls about it on Monday (Neal Stepp etc). I read where it has a 5066 trigger and the 1903 action is supposed to be nicer, I also saw where a heavy barrel was once made, but I didn't find much more than that. My search here did show that there are a lot of them in junior programs. My basic questions are: would it be a more satisfying rifle than the Savage; is it based on the 64 action; is it worth upgrading (adjustable butt and cheek piece, rail); can it be upgraded with 1903 parts; do the Savage magazines fit it?"

Neal will know about the Achievers but didnt have one when I asked.

The Achiever trigger and action leave a lot to be desired. It is a simplistic trigger with very little adjustment. It kinda reminds me of a military mauser trigger. The Achiever is not a '64 action. We have two juniors with Achievers and both have rails and both have been shortened for the smaller kids. They are the only rifle that we have found that fit the younger kids and do not weigh too much. The two rifles we have have different sights one anshutz and one is like the Savages. The anshutz is much better if you have a choice. The magazine looks like a savage but I havent tried it as our kids use the filler. They are well suited for a younger, smaller kids. The savages are much heavier and the stock does not fit anyone. They do not work for the younger kids. Our kids that are a little older are shooting 1903JR's and it is a great rifle for the kids once they can handle the additional weight. I would imagine they are comprable to the CM-2's except with a better trigger. The 1903JR's are still available new the last time I checked.
Decent rifles for the smaller kids is a problem.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Here's another idea.
We shoot CZ452s for silhouette.

While you cannot get 452s anymore, the new 455s are nice and you can get trigger kits for those which make them even nicer. (with a Yo-Dave kit you can get down to about 3/4 lb)

Route out the stock for the rail and you can shorten the stock if you need to.

Never done this, but I am impressed with accuracy of these.

Since you can change the BBLs in the 455 pretty easily, I think you might be able to have shorter BBLs made to reduce weight.