Youth Program in Germany

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

JOVALJR

Youth Program in Germany

Post by JOVALJR »

I am currently stationed in Germany, and my son has taken an interest is shooting. I shot with the Fort Benning Jr Rifle Team when I was a kid, and had ample oppurtunity to practice and compete. I would like to get him started here, but I am not sure if there is a program here. Does anyone know of any programs located in Germany.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

It seemed to me that every village had a range when we visited Germany last fall with the Pilkguns tour. Also, all of them had a lot of junior shooters. This was all in Bavaria. Don't really know what happens in the rest of the country. But, judging from the stories of the huge matches that are held in that country, I would have to assume that there are ranges everywhere.

I asked a guy at one range near Munich about the number of clubs they compete against in their region. He stated that there were 61 clubs within a 20 kilometer circle around the village we were shooting in. This village was about 15k from the Munich airport.

I would think that it would be easy for you to find a club that your son could compete with.

Keep us posted about what you find.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Check the DSB website you should be able to find a club where you are in Germany. He couldn't get a better start in the sport than in Germany.
JOVALJR

Post by JOVALJR »

Thanks, there is what they call a Schutzenhaus here in our town, I will start there. We also have a Rod and Gun Club on post, which has a range, but the times available to use it are limited.

Do you have any opinions regarding a good starting Air Rifle for a 14 year old?

I am looking at purchasing a Feinwerkbau air rifle model 500 for him, but I have been out of the sport so long, I am not sure which rifles are best for a beginning shooter.
John C

Post by John C »

I would strongly recommend that you try to buy a used rifle there in Germany. The used prices for airguns is a fraction you'll find anywhere else.

So, go to the range, get oriented, and ask around for a used youth gun to purchase. Chances are there will be a number of used ones people are trying to sell.

Good luck!

-John