JR 3P rifle / air rifle competition opportunities?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

rmarsh

JR 3P rifle / air rifle competition opportunities?

Post by rmarsh »

My daughter (just turned 14) is in her second year of competing in 4-H shooting sports. She has worked hard and done quite well so far this season taking second place overall JR at Arkansas YHEC. She will be competing at Range Events (State championship) in about a week then going on to PA for IYHEC.

That is where we are, but we want to get into precision rifle and air rifle competitions. The 4-H has very little to offer (in Arkansas anyway) for precision competitions. YHEC and Range Event rules do not allow full precision equipment. Rules are mainly a mix of sporter with some semi-precision stuff thrown in here and there.

We have an Anschutz 2013/2018 rifle and a Walther KK200 precision rifle along with a Walther LG200 air rifle. We are also set up with most of the other equipment needed as well, stands, scopes mats....... You get the idea, all dressed up and no where to go!

We live in central Arkansas. I am retired, my daughter is homeschooled so we have the freedom to travel. We are looking for 3P Precision competitions within a few hours drive. Any help with competitions you may know about or websites I can visit would be greatly appreciated. Anything from local matches to qualifier matches for regional or national competitions is of interest.
litz10x

Hit the road

Post by litz10x »

Hi,

Sounds like you guys have the perfect arrangement! When I was coming up as a junior shooter (3p small bore and air rifle standing) in Washington state, my father was retired as well and we drove all over the place (Idaho, Montana, Oregon, British Columbia, Winnipeg, Manitoba one year for the Canadian Nationals) to compete and gain match experience.

If you haven’t already, check out the events calendar here: http://www.usashooting.org/7-events/interactivecalendar

Go to the -Select State- pull down menu and select ARKANSAS (or surrounding states) to find upcoming matches.

Starting up again in the fall, the Civilian Marksmanship Program ranges in Anniston, Alabama and Port Clinton, Ohio host their monthly matches. While I know Alabama is a bit further of a drive, she would have the chance to shoot Junior Air Rifle 3x20 as well as 60 Shots Air Rifle Standing all on electronic targets. For more information, click here: http://www.odcmp.com/3P/MonthlyMatches.htm

There is also the Gary Anderson Invitational (3p air for schools and clubs): http://www.odcmp.com/3P/GAI.htm and the Dixie Double (60 shots air standing) http://www.odcmp.com/3P/DixieDouble.htm. Both of those events are held at the CMP range in Anniston, Alabama.

I hope this helps a bit.

Take care and good luck! Maybe I'll see y'all on the range. My daughter and I shoot air pistol.

:) Steph
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Thanks Steph! I will check out the links you provided. I knew there was quite a bit going on in Aniston. That is not too terribly far to drive from here. We will have to see if we can make it out there soon. We just started playing around a bit with air pistol, so maybe we will see you on the range someday. 4-H here is starting up a PPP program and she will be shooting her first match in December (unless we find another match sooner). Thanks again for your help.

Rick
litz10x

Post by litz10x »

You're welcome Rick!

My daughter is 8 1/2 and she's really enjoyed shooting the 1st position (Basic Supported) and actually practicing here at home. We shoot the monthly matches at Anniston and have met some wonderful people to include the Blocton Bullets from West Blocton, Alabama. Kandi Smith has done an incredible job developing a team of junior air pistol shooters. http://www.bloctonbullets.com/

Maybe you guys are already going to this but it looks like the 2012 Daisy 3P Air Rifle Championship will take place in Rogers, AR July 4-6 and it appears that you can still register: http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchInf ... tchID=8458

Feel free to hit me up any time via email sdlitz@bellsouth.net

Steph
jhmartin

Re: JR 3P rifle / air rifle competition opportunities?

Post by jhmartin »

rmarsh wrote:The 4-H has very little to offer (in Arkansas anyway) for precision competitions. YHEC and Range Event rules do not allow full precision equipment. Rules are mainly a mix of sporter with some semi-precision stuff thrown in here and there.
Rick .... this is not just in Arkansas. 4-H (Air Rifle) is specifically limited to the sporter category in the National events and very few 4-H clubs will focus past that. YHEC is primarily a hunting (thus the H in the name) simulation set of events. Nothing wrong with either as they really get the youth out shooting and enjoying the sport.

4-H begins to blend with the precision category in the smallbore 3-P event at the Nationals which uses the NRA "Any Rifle" rule .... here you will see the full gamut of shooters on the line .... shooters in shorts & tee shirts competing directly against shooters in full precision gear with olympic style rifles.

4-H at the local/state levels it's such a hodgepodge of rules that you just cannot make any assumptions of what to expect.

If you are involved in YHEC or 4-H, yes you do have to step out a bit sideways to shoot Air & SBR precision, but it is not at all uncommon. There are many 4-H shooters that shoot at the national and Olympic levels. You have to be willing to shoot outside of the 4-H matches which it appears you are.

Steph is correct in her match notices in your area. Anniston is your best bet for precision air.
Smallbore rifle is a bit more difficult, but if you start showing up in Anniston and asking questions you may be able to find comps and ranges that allow her to shoot both 50ft and 50m.
Keep an eye on the USAS website for the State JO Rifle Qualifiers. last year there was not an event in Arkansas, but in some of the surrounding states. (If you want a copy of the hosts last year, pm me with your email & I'll zing it to you)

The thing to do is get her showing up at matches and shooting
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Jhmartin, thanks for your reply. We enjoy the 4-H competitions and plan to continue wirh them. We will probably go to nationals next year to compete in rifle. The normal schedule for our YHEC is the week before nationals which makes it a little difficult. My daughters jr team is really strong this year so we have been focusing our efforts on IYHEC. We feel like we have a chance to do really well this year. Once IYHEC is over she wants to start focusing on precision competitions.

She has Olympic dreams in her head and really prefers 22 over air rifle. However, like you said, it is easier to break into the air rifle scene. I don't know if she has the drive required for high level competition or not, but if she does I want to support her fully.

When we step out of 4-H the level of competition is going to greatly increase. She is used to winning in 4-H so we will see what happens when she gets her butt kicked in her first precision event. I expect it will make her more determined and train harder than ever, but we shall see.....
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

rmarsh wrote:When we step out of 4-H the level of competition is going to greatly increase. She is used to winning in 4-H so we will see what happens when she gets her butt kicked in her first precision event. I expect it will make her more determined and train harder than ever, but we shall see.....
The good thing about competing in 4-H it gives them the opportunity to really develop the fundamentals. Now that she seems ready to jump into the precision game, at 14 she will surprise you I'm sure.
GCSInc

The Ole Mill Range Complex, Griffin GA

Post by GCSInc »

www.OleMillRangeCTC.com

Come see us.

Roy
(678) 772-8185 cell
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Roy,
Thanks for the invite to Ole Mill Range. We will come out to see you after we finish up 4-H IYHEC.

Rick
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

If she is interested in shooting just an offhand match, the Shooting Stars in Dallas, Texas will be holding USA Shooting PTO matches this fall (none during the summer). You would be welcome to attend. Info on the club is at http://www.teamshootingstars.org.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Standing is her favorite! Are you shooting 50 ft, 50yd or 50m? We will plan to make down for a match or two .......
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Rick .... the Off Hand PTO (Preliminary Try Out) match is a 10m air match.
(40 shots for women .... 60 for men)

There are some very good shooters and great parents at that club.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Air rifle works too. She likes SB more,but we are also pursuing AR. The advantages are obvious. More matches, can shoot inside and ammo is cheaper! Have to admit i like SB better myself. Guns are supposed to go bang!