NRA air at Anniston

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Perry_w

NRA air at Anniston

Post by Perry_w »

My son is planning on shooting in Anniston for the NRA event in June. What should we expect? Shooter count, scores, etc. What should we take, other than his shooting gear? Are there chairs for spectators? Is food available, or should we bring our lunch with us? What about the swap thing? What do the kids bring? How many items? Should they all be the same?
I guess my question(s) is what would you like to have known before your fist trip to a big meet? Or what do you wish new shooters and there fan clubs knew when they show up?
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Anniston CMP is a nice range, 40 points on each side of the building, facing away from each other with 3 tiers of bleacher seating. Not having read the program for the event you're referring to, I don't know if they're planning on providing food ~ they have for events in the past, but it's typically an extra cost ($5 ~ cheap) and stated in the program. There's a McDonald's and grocery store that's a short walk from the range building, otherwise you're in a car for food.

As for what to bring, along with all the shooting stuff (rifle, scope, ammo, journal, etc...), food, water, books/mp3 players and whatever else is normally used pre-match to relax, during the match and post match to relax. It's not a "big meet", it's just a different one ~ you already know all the stuff you need and use at local matches, bring all of that. The only difference will be the location and you can't rely on any amenities that you might have available locally so be prepared. We do take our own camp chairs as they are much more comfortable than the aluminum bleachers.

Can't help with the swap info ~ there's a contact person listed on the match program, give them a call or email and ask for specifics. In the case of the CMP, it's their Job to help you out, not a volunteer effort on top of their job, and most seem generally eager to help. I will say that historically I receive very poor results from email, and very good results from phone contact, so I'd suggest calling.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

You shouldn't need the scope and stand. The targets are electronic and there are big screens for spectators. There are all kinds of restaurants within minutes.
Perry_w

Post by Perry_w »

Brian M wrote:Anniston CMP is a nice range, 40 points on each side of the building, ....

... It's not a "big meet", it's just a different one ~ .
The ranges my son shoots at have at the most 12 firing points with 3 relays. I think, at Anniston, it could be easy to get lost in the shuffle, and that is what I am trying to avoid. I have been to events out side of shooting that we missed out on some thing because "everyone knows that's the way it is done here". I don't want that to happen. My son is having a wonderful time shooting and I want this to top his list of shoots this year.
randy1952

Bring

Post by randy1952 »

SRichieR wrote:You shouldn't need the scope and stand. The targets are electronic and there are big screens for spectators. There are all kinds of restaurants within minutes.
You won't need a spotting scope and you may not need a shooting mat as they made the competitors use their mats at Camp Perry last year. I just wish they had informed us before we carried four of them a couple of thousand miles. I can't remember if they allow food on the range during the competition. They usually have a vendor selling food outside of the range, but they are usually fairly high. Scott and maybe a few other vendors will probably be their selling some of his goods as well as Scott's gunsmith service.