Better Sights for Daisy 499B

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Haireacane

Better Sights for Daisy 499B

Post by Haireacane »

Looking for sight options for the Daisy 499 competition BB gun. We have used Anschutz air rifle sights with great results but they are very expensive when you need more than 20 of them.

I have tried the Chinese knockoffs of the GAMO air rifle sights that are on our Daisy XS40/T200 air rifles but they really are not much of an improvement as far as the elimination of backlash.

I just purchased the rear sight for the Air Force Edge but it does not have enough adjustment to go below the 5 ring. One of my parents is milling the sight in an effort to add adjustment.

I have been told that the Mendoza air rifle sight also does not have enough adjustment for the BB gun as well.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

David Haire
Tift County, Georgia 4-H BB, Air Rifle and Air Pistol Coach
Zoomies

Post by Zoomies »

Have you looked at Williams sights?
Haireacane

Daisy 499 Sights

Post by Haireacane »

I have looked at the Williams sights but I do not belive they will fit. According to the NRA 5 meter rule book we are allowed to change the rear sight but we cannont modify the gun. I belive the sight will hit the frame on the left side.

Anybody have any other suggestions? Is there a quality sight at a decent price? Still working on the Air Force Edge sight.

Has anybody used the Brno match sight? Not sure if it will fit either. Still looking on Ebay for used Anshutz sights but they cost twice what the BB gun costs new.

Thanks,
David
RizzoRogan

499 sights

Post by RizzoRogan »

You are correct. The NRA rule 3.7 (a) Metallic receiver sights, from any manufacturer may be substituted for factory sights and mounted on the receiver of the gun. However if the ultimate goal is to win a state match and qualify for the Daisy National BB Gun Championship you are better off to get several of the original Daisy 5899 sights and test them and learn how to work out the slop in them because the daisy 5899 sight is the only sight that may be used at the DNBBGCM per their match program. Some state matches follow this sight requirement because of the DNBBGCM rule.
Haireacane

Daisy 499

Post by Haireacane »

We have been to the Daisy Nationals 5 times since 2004 and I know that we must use their rear sight and their BB's at that match. Our state has the largest BB Rifle match in the nation. I'm trying to get the kids back to the Daisy match, actually we have already qualified but with their new 2 year exclusion rule my team cannot go this year or next year. We will have between 70 and 80 teams at our state match April 14. Here in Georgia the teams must shoot a district match and shoot a minimum qualification score of 1,550 for the top 5 kids on a team with up to 7 members.

I have more than 40 of the Daisy sights and more than 35 of the 499b's with about 30 working at this time, although that changes by the minute at practice.

I'm looking for a sight that will work as it should. I've shimmed, greased and worked on the Daisy sights for 15 years and I'm looking for something better.

Thanks,
David
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

Sounds like you've read the book and got the T-shirt when it comes to 499's and there 5899 rear sight issues. My first year was 2010 and have qualified a team every year since including this year. I remember very well at last years opening ceremony when Mr. Hobbs asked if there was anybody left in Georgia after introducing the teams. My team won the Harper Memorial Trophy in 2010, Thank You Judy Harper! In 2010 one of my shooters was taking sighter shots and I told him to make a sight adjustment and when he did the rear sight litterally exploded into at least a dozen pieces. Since we had taken no record shots I received permission to shoot for record on the next relay after I put a new set of sights on the gun. I took the 5899 sight to the Daisy repairman at the match and asked if he had ever seen this before. I am only going to tell you part of what he said but the part I will never forget is and I quote "we don't make them and I don't like them". Having said that the DNBBGCM is a great thing and the people at Daisy Outdoor Products are the best.

I think the consecutive match exclusion is for one year after being a team member not two years is the way I read it. Unless what you mean is that if you were a team member in 2011 you can not participate at the DNBBGCM again until 2013 unless you were an alternate in 2011 which means you can return in 2012 as an alternate again or a regular team member.
GCSInc

Time to move up!

Post by GCSInc »

To Sporter Air Rifle!
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Oh Daisy, please give us an improved BB gun rear sight OR let us use Williams or Lyman or ......
Haireacane

Daisy 499

Post by Haireacane »

I have not tried the Williams sight or any Lyman sight yet. I finally got the Air Force Edge sight to work by milling the base but they are about $150 so I'm still looking for something cheaper.

According to the letter we received from Daisy, after the Nationals, all shooters are now excluded from attending for two years whether the kids were on the team or were an alternate. Looks like 2014 before we can go back if we qualify.

Daisy does have a new rear sight for the 499, well sort of. Denise Johnson sent me two of them to try. They are still the 5899 sight but are being made by a another manufacturer. I really believe it's an improvement but it still has a great deal of backlash.

Hi Roy, we have Sporter Air Rifle and I took one of the original Gamo rear sights off the XS/40 and put it ont he 499 and it works well. I'm told that the rear sight ont he Crossman sporter rifles are the Gamo sight wtihout the marking but are still made in Spain. If anyone knows that to be true, please let me know.

Also Roy, we had 34 kids from two states at our 7th Annual "Cannon Classic" PPP match last Saturday. USA Shooting sanctioned the match and we really had a great turnout. Looking forward to the national PPP in July in Anniston, Alabama.

Thanks,
David
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Slightly off topic but brought up in a previous post: the way I read the new consecutive match rule was that a regular team member could not attend the next year as a team member or alternate. Alternates are still eligible to attend the next year as an alternate or team member.
RizzoRogan

Post by RizzoRogan »

I agree with SRichieR! New sights please, and I don't want to hear about how much it will increase cost. I also agree with his interpretation on consecutive match exclusion. I have mixed feelings on this and I think part of this evolved from a situation that happened with my club team from 2011. Way too much to discuss here but look me up at Nationals this year and I will gladly share. So how about a whole new can of worms and I may be totally wrong about this but would like to know if it has occurred to anyone else? It appears to me me that there are a few states that have a single program and a single qualifying match that may be made up of as few as two teams all from the same club. Since they are the only program they can have shooters from just about any part of the state. Why would these teams not be considered as All Star teams because they are basically made up from a region or state-at-large?
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Here is a way to get some of the slop out of the sight.
I think the sight you are talking about is the same sight as on the Daisy 853.
viewtopic.php?t=30249&highlight=853+sights