New Daisy Stock Prototype Photos

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

New Daisy Stock Prototype Photos

Post by jhmartin »

Denise also said they are working on a "drop in" air valve body to use on existing 888's & 887's

GaryN

Post by GaryN »

VERY nice.
But what will that do to the price of the rifles?

I would think they should have a deeper forestock.
But I am biased by shooting only in the standing position. I don't know the effect on the hold of a deeper forestock in kneeling and prone.

If they did that much work on the stock, they should do "something" to improve the stock trigger. Right now, to be competitive, you MUST do the trigger fix modifications. It would be better if Daisy did it at the factory.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

887's come with the trigger setup & ready for modifications.
The factory trigger is set heavy, I'm sure for legal reasons.

You can pull the factory screw out of the back of the trigger guard and replace it with a longer 6-32 and begin your trigger mod journey.
Remember this is still a sporter rifle ... a beginning level 3-P airgun.

From my perspective I never set these below 2 lbs. Sporter shooters who learn to deal with the 2lb trigger learn a smooth squeeze and a good follow-thru which then blends very well if they move to precision rifles
($0.02)

PRICE: Well, they have a good cushion to get to the T200 and Edge prices.
I just hope they will keep the standard stocks and CO2 versions to keep prices down ... I'm sold on the 888's and 887's now dollar-for-dollar, as a 4-H coach, I can put more kids kids on the line with these rifles
Last edited by jhmartin on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry_w

Post by Perry_w »

Would it be legal to mod an existing stock to work like that? I could make the parts. Are they making the new stocks in laminated wood? Or will the final product be plastic? I think 888 and 887 stocks are so nice looking. I like the contrast of the aluminum with the wood.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Perry_w wrote:Would it be legal to mod an existing stock to work like that? I could make the parts.
That would be a good question to zing off to Vicki Donoho at CMP. We'll see what she says.
Perry_w

Post by Perry_w »

Has Vicki been asked? What was the reply? Denise said they where working on a price point, did she say what that is? I know the complete gun has to stay under the sporter price cap.

On a different note, what are the advantages of PCP over CO2?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I did zing an email to Vicki right after that post .... no response
Jason

Re: New Daisy Stock Prototype Photos

Post by Jason »

jhmartin wrote:Denise also said they are working on a "drop in" air valve body to use on existing 888's & 887's
Does this mean you might be able to convert them to PCP?

Jason
jhmartin

Re: New Daisy Stock Prototype Photos

Post by jhmartin »

Jason wrote:
jhmartin wrote:Denise also said they are working on a "drop in" air valve body to use on existing 888's & 887's
Does this mean you might be able to convert them to PCP?

Jason
Sounds like it!
Perry_w

Post by Perry_w »

What would be the advantage of PCP over CO2?
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

The only thing I can think of is, CA is less sensitive to temperature extremes than CO2, so your velocity would not change as much as co2 would.
GCSInc

Engenerring Problems

Post by GCSInc »

Last I heard, this project had hit a wall... Not sure if it's recoverable, but it won't be soon. Does anyone have a "Release" date from Daisy? I've never been able to get anyone to commit to even a year, much less a date...

PCP is the only way to go in warm or humid climates. There is no comparison.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Perry_w wrote:What would be the advantage of PCP over CO2?
Actually, one of the nice things about CO2 is the liquid to gas phase at room temps ... it is a very consistent pressure, thus not requiring a gas regulator. It's self regulating ... as long as you have some liquid in the cylinder, the pressure remains constant

The problem comes, as Roy mentions, when the temp gets hot CO2 goes into a supercritical phase and it is hard to determine what state it's in, gas-liquid-supercrit, and this causes a much higher pressure which the hammer/spring combo in the 888/887 cannot overcome.

If you keep the cylinder below about 95 and out of the sun (cover the gun/cylinder with a towel to keep the sun off the cylinder, then you are OK.

I'll post Diane's message to me tonight.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Another stock suggestion, although it would be much more of a change is to move the pistol grip forward so the front of the pistol grip is in line with the rear of the trigger guard. More like a pistol grip on a pistol. The current setup requires a REACH to the trigger.

I understand how it came about, they probably just "rotated" the 853 pistol grip downward. The position on the thumb on top of the stock requiring the other fingers to be behind the trigger guard. And the rear screw for the action is secured behind the trigger guard.

It would be nice if they shaped the pistol grip something like that of the TAU-200. With a polymer stock like used on the 853CM, they don't have to worry about a wood stock breaking on the grain in area of the pistol grip.

The side benefit is that change would make it easier for kids with small hands to reach the trigger.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The 887 stock is a copy of the 753 stock used for years before the 888 even came about.

Our club used to "overmold" 888's before the 887 stocks were released:
http://vc4hss.com/_Coaches/888_Overmold ... ermold.htm
Now it's just easier to order an 887 stock.

The 887 stock is not made out of a single block of "raw" wood (as was the 753), but it is laminated up like the 888 and is a very strong component, I've never heard of an 887 stock breaking in the pistol grip area
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

You are right, with a laminated stock, they can make the pistol grip area more user friendly w/o worrying about breaking the pistol grip of the stock.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

When I shot sporter, I used the 887 (current version of this rifle stock) and found that the biggest problem was that the fore end was way too short. It works really well for sling positions, but it sucks in standing if you have relatively short arms. Just my 2 cents
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

By short do you mean the vertical depth of the forestock?
If so, I agree.
I'm short with short arm, so it is worse for me.

I was really tempted to get the 887 that was being sold he by someone. But I figured I have the TAU-200-jr to use for co2, so I don't need yet another match rifle. Although the TAU-200-jr won't qualify for CMP sportster category, although it might for NRA sportster (as I interpret the rules).
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

A forend riser block like we use in smallbore would really be nice for these rifles - if the rules would allow. A riser block wouldnt be that expensive or difficult to make. The shape of the Crossman stock gives it a slight advantage in this area.
oldsailor64

Modified Daisy 887 Stocks

Post by oldsailor64 »

Has Daisy started to manufacture the adjustable stocks? and, are they available for purchase? Price?