Pilkguns Avanti 753 trigger mod question

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

k9jri

Pilkguns Avanti 753 trigger mod question

Post by k9jri »

I just completed the trigger modification as described in the pilkguns.com "Daisy M753, M853, M888, M887 Trigger Modification Instructions" document. The trigger is really sweet now but the safety is not reliable.

I believe that I removed too much material from the front edge of the trigger but I am not sure which dimension is critical since I cannot see the surfaces when the action is assembled. Which of the dimensions is critical for the safety to function.

- Mike
k9jri

The thickness is the critical dimension

Post by k9jri »

I found another article on the pilkguns sight that specified dimensions. The thickness of the front of the trigger was to be reduced to .100 inches and the depth of that cut was to be .150 inches from the front of the trigger. This article indicated that the depth of the cut (.150 inches) was critical to proper operation of the safety but that proved to be incorrect.

I set up a jig where I could load all of the trigger parts into the plastic cover so that I could observe the operation. This proved that the thickness (.100 inches) of the front edge of the trigger was the critical dimension and the depth of the cut was not critical at all to the operation of the safety.

Maybe this will help someone else :)

After modification the trigger is outstanding. No creep ad breaks at about 1.5 pounds.

- Mike
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

You'll have to run the screw in about 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn ... or chomp out a bit more of the safety tab .... we teach our kids to NEVER rely on the safety ... and the coaches/instructors are LOUD and DIRECT in teaching the kids safety in the range ... MAT ... MAT ... MAT

Note the XSV-40's have no safety, so you have to be that way
k9jri

Post by k9jri »

jhmartin wrote:You'll have to run the screw in about 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn ... or chomp out a bit more of the safety tab .... we teach our kids to NEVER rely on the safety ... and the coaches/instructors are LOUD and DIRECT in teaching the kids safety in the range ... MAT ... MAT ... MAT

Note the XSV-40's have no safety, so you have to be that way
The screw has nothing to do with the operation of the safety. It only adjusts out trigger pre-travel and then takes up some of the trigger pull. The safety is a function of the thickness of the front of the trigger as stated above. You may have confused the 753 with some other weapon.

As for the safety itself... whether or not you use a safety or choose to not use a safety is your own choice but if one exists it should function correctly.

- Mike
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

This is an old post, but I have a question related to the trigger mod on the Pilkington site.

From looking at the mod, it appears that the mod is preloading the trigger to reduce the sear engagement.

I cannot see how it is also able to adjust the trigger weight.
By preloading the trigger it is compressing the trigger spring. I would think that is not decreasing the spring tension but instead it is increasing the spring tension.

Unfortunately I do not have a trigger scale, so I cannot measure the trigger weight with the adjustment screw at different settings.
Waisted

Post by Waisted »

GaryN wrote:This is an old post, but I have a question related to the trigger mod on the Pilkington site.

From looking at the mod, it appears that the mod is preloading the trigger to reduce the sear engagement.

I cannot see how it is also able to adjust the trigger weight.
By preloading the trigger it is compressing the trigger spring. I would think that is not decreasing the spring tension but instead it is increasing the spring tension.

Unfortunately I do not have a trigger scale, so I cannot measure the trigger weight with the adjustment screw at different settings.
That's correct. If the shoulders of the sear and striker are perfectly sharp and perfectly smooth, then depth of sear engagement will have no effect on trigger weight. However, it's probable that the mating edges are rounded to some extent, so when you are very close to release there is less force required since the striker is almost slipping off the sear on its own, and since creep is all but eliminated, the effect is that you think the trigger weight has been reduced.

But you're not increasing the spring tension with this mod - all you're doing is using a screw to move the trigger back to near the release point, which is what your finger would be doing anyway, so there is no change in spring effect with this mod.