Did anyone shoot CO2 in RT events?

Moderators: m1963, kaban56

Texdance

Did anyone shoot CO2 in RT events?

Post by Texdance »

The book I presented in my previous post has an interesting take on CO2.

The author says do not use it in RT air rifles, because the cooling effect of the CO2 release chills the action so much, and the RT shots are fired so quickly, that any CO2 air rifle would not work for RT. The pressure of each shot will be uneven, due to the chilling of the air rifle internal parts along with the fast rate of fire.

RJ Maddison, the book's author, says 20 seconds is the recommended time between RT targets, and thinks that is too short a time to allow the CO2 chill effect to go away and thus normalize pressure.

Tom Gaylord, in his informative article on the benefits and drawbacks of CO2 in air guns, says he needs 15 seconds between shots for the chill effect to normalize:

"In practical testing, I've seen velocities decrease by more than 100 f.p.s. over a long string of shots. That will affect where the pellet strikes the target unless it's very close to the shooter. So, if you want to shoot accurately with a CO2 gun, do not shoot rapid-fire. With a target pistol, I like to allow at least 15 seconds between shots so the gun's temperature can cycle back to where it was before the shot. But, if you're just plinking, you can shoot faster than that."

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_ ... ber_2003/6

Anyone have experience with RT using a CO2 air rifle?

Has anyone effectively used CO2 air rifles in RT competition?
RTarget

Re: Did anyone shoot CO2 in RT events?

Post by RTarget »

HI

I know that Steyr and Feinwerkbau produced CO2 RT rifles but I have never seen them in the competitions and as far as I understand they stayed as "collectibles". Even today you can see in the RT competitions SSP-s and PCP-s only

Target
kaban56

Re: Did anyone shoot CO2 in RT events?

Post by kaban56 »

I believe that Diego Mola of Italy is using CO2 Steyr. I could be wrong - don't know whether it was converted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdPcuZcu3uk&t=685s