Exercises specific to RT?

Moderators: m1963, kaban56

bcrt

Exercises specific to RT?

Post by bcrt »

Growing up I shot a fair share of 3p. I was taught to use bone support and not muscle. Now beginning RT it seems I'm using all muscle. This leads me to ask what exercises should RT shooters be doing? Is anyone willing to share their exercise program that has helped them? Thanks
Marc Orvin

Re: Exercises specific to RT?

Post by Marc Orvin »

I can remember when my son shot running target that he would do HUNDREDS of lifts and tracks before he would ever fire a shot in each training session. RT is a pretty physical sport. If you can't do the lifts and come up right on target, you will have a pretty miserable time trying to catch up and then snatch the shot.

Muscle memory is what it seems to be all about.

Marc
januzgi

Post by januzgi »

As said above it is about the repeats like any sports. Master the lift, have a steady hold and control your movements is what a good shooter must maintain. In Finland the thing we have been focusing most on is the hold. We shoot static target quite much to improve the controlling and hold of the gun. It is necessary to get a score of 100 on static target to be able to fire a 100 points on 10 slow runs or fast runs.

On fast runs the lifting technique stands out and that's why mastering slow runs before starting to train fast runs is important. Being able to shoot a 90 score on slow runs means you can also do it on fast runs if you have the lifting technique and proper twist, which happens in your ankles. Fast runs should be like the performance in slow runs but just in shorter time. I mean the same speed of lifting and same accuracy of lifting, but just faster catching up with the right aiming (post going to the ball and boom). Triggering well is important on fast runs also, and that's why you need lots of confidence on it. Which you gain by doing thousands of repetitions on static target and slow runs.

:) If any thoughts, ask!
Hans63

Post by Hans63 »

The running target shooting book (only Russian language)

http://shooting-ua.com/dop_arhiv/dop_2/ ... heniam.pdf

and all shooting books (only Russian language)

http://shooting-ua.com/arm-books/arm_book_163.htm
RTarget

Post by RTarget »

Hi all!!

I agree with januzgi 100%. The key issues are:
1. Lift - the accuracy of the movement of the body system from static "ready position" to the moving target.
2. Aim - the following of the target using the movement of upper part of the body but keeping the "triangle" system - holding hand-cheek-shoulder firmly fixed with the rifle.
3. Shoot - the timing of the shot which needs simultaneous trigger finger and body movement and actual shot launch when reached the aiming point.

So, if you master those points then it is all about it. The exercises are mainly focusing on those parts before mentioned. Either separately or in conjunction. Either with static or moving targets. Of course basic shooting mental and fitness readiness is a must and could be trained separately.

januzgi wrote:As said above it is about the repeats like any sports. Master the lift, have a steady hold and control your movements is what a good shooter must maintain. In Finland the thing we have been focusing most on is the hold. We shoot static target quite much to improve the controlling and hold of the gun. It is necessary to get a score of 100 on static target to be able to fire a 100 points on 10 slow runs or fast runs....