TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 pm 

As the dad of 4 shooting daughters, this has to be the dumbest forum ever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 pm 

I suspect that at one of the coaches clinics at OTC there was a request for a specific form for women coaches and collegiate coaches .

Post subject: Re: why?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:03 pm 

The reason there is a forum for women coaches is because 95% of men do not take women coaches seriously and you just showed the world proof. It takes me beating you for you to take me seriously which will happen. Women in general are sick and tired of having to deal with men looking down on us, so instead of talking to a naive man we would rather talk to other women. If you're a man what are you doing on this forum?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:31 am 

This forum was highlighted at the 1st Annual All Women's Coaching Clinic, which was recently help at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. More than 30 women coaches from across the nation, representing Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun disciplines, gathered for information and clinics promoting women coaches and women in the shooting sports. We are a highly dedicated association of National and International champions, Olympic champions, leaders in our community and sport, and every one of us champions the goal of bringing more women into shooting, whether it be as an athlete or coach.

This initiative is thanks to Mike Theimer, USA Shooting, who is dedicated to helping our group grow the numbers of women coaches and shooters, as well as the many women coaches who are working diligently towards that goal. If you are a woman shooting coach, whether you coach Olympic style shooting or not, we invite you to join us!

My guess is that you will see a much greater increase of traffic on this thread now and in the future.

Sally Stevens
NRA Certified Shotgun Coach, Level II
National Shotgun Coach Development Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:05 am 

[quote]="redschietti"]As the dad of 4 shooting daughters, this has to be the dumbest forum ever[/quote]

You have got to f---king kidding me ! What kind of shooting dad are you ? With an attitude like that what possibly could you be teaching your daughters ? I sure hope they are getting instruction from someone other than you. If having more women coaches draws more women into sport, I am all for that. I love seeing women in the sport. Being a man, I do my part to encourage women especially the young women to join this great sport of ours.
Wake up dude !

Lee Dubno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 am 

Dr.Lee wrote:
redschietti wrote:
As the dad of 4 shooting daughters, this has to be the dumbest forum ever

You have got to f---king kidding me ! What kind of shooting dad are you ? With an attitude like that what possibly could you be teaching your daughters ? ..........................

Lee Dubno

Dr Lee, ( Sally & Melissa too)I think you missed the point.
It should not matter if you have a man or a women as a coach --- or whether you are a man or a women coach.
The techniques that each will teach & apply as a coach are the same.

It should be noted that for the most part the only women who have posted here have done so for the purpose of justifying the forum ... not real coaching info.

I think I know most of the posters except for Sally, have not had the pleasure yet ...
If there are special coaching techniques or unique coaching concerns (i.e. "95% of men don't take women coaches seriously" does not fit the bill) then I'd love to help with those...or even more important, learn from them to make my athletes better.

I've coached all 3 of my daughters to a decent level of success in rifle ... one has carried on and has had two fantastic (women) coaches since then. Both of those coaches have brought to their coaching nothing other than the professionalism I would expect from any collegiate coach ... man or woman.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:21 pm 

If any of the posters actually knew me or my daughters they would have a completely different opinion of my objection to the forum. We have raised our daughters to be tough, independent women, not subservient to men as posters seem to have implied. I personally feel two of the finest rifle coaches in the US are female. Sorry I don't know any coaches to speak of, in the pistol or shotgun disciplines. I refuse to join our church because women aren't allow to vote. I have nothing against female coaches or females in authority anywhere.

We have felt nothing but acceptance and encouragement by the shooting community as serious, competitive shooters, by both male and female coaches. I'm also sure bias and prejudice exist against female shooters and coaches, we just haven't seen it. I assume the motivation for a conference, and this forum is to gain acceptance for females in shooting. I find that sad. Females are accepted, they win their share of matches when shooting against the men, they coach some of the best rifle shooters in the US and if you look the world.

Excuses are NEVER accepted in our house, NEVER. CAN"T is a four letter word. "The good lord helps those who help them self" is our code of honor.

This forum, if it takes off, and It hasn't, is making an excuse for female coaches and female shooters. It allows them to justify their failures because the are female. That's unacceptable to me. Men and women, pretty uniquely in sports, shoot the same events, shoot the same scores, and can certainly coach to the same level.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:22 pm 

Woman coach and shooter here (or, at least, coach and shooter who happens to be female, which is always how I've looked at it).

I do think there are times when a female shooter may want a female coach - or possibly when a male coach may want female help.

1) Teen female rifle shooter, trying to set up an ISSF legal standing position. When you're trying to figure out whether the gun's resting on the shooter, or if it's just that the jacket buttons need a bit of adjustment, it's less awkward all round if it's not an adult man doing the poking and prodding.

2) Teen female shooter struggling with puberty issues impacting on her training, and not comfortable discussing them with a man.

Now you might say either or both of them can be solved by the shooter (or the male coach) sucking it up, but is it wrong for someone to use a coach who they're more comfortable with? Most of the time gender simply isn't an issue - my daughter's main coach is male, for instance - but sometimes it can be.

For all I know there are similar issues where a male shooter might specifically want to consult a male coach. I wouldn't know since they're not likely to ask me :)

(Aside: I was once approached before a competition by a very senior male coach / team official, suggesting I should check with my female shooters whether they were wearing push-up bras. He didn't feel it was something he could say to 14-18 year old girls who he barely knew, but had had the experience of one of his shooters failing equipment control because of it and wanted them to be aware.)

Does any of this need an entire separate forum? Personally I would say no - and that the rolling tumbleweed in here is far more offputting to women who want to coach than having to post in scary forums where almost everyone else is male would be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:28 pm 

Everyone,

Thanks for your posts. This forum was started as a response to the 2014 All Women Coaching Clinic, organized by USA Shooting and serves as any forum does, to provide an opportunity for discussion and connection.

Opinions, whether we agree with them or not, are often misconstrued online with the lack of inflection. Stating that this forum is a place for justify failures as female shooters and coaches seems quite derogatory and ultimately, untrue; maybe I am misunderstanding the statement? Again, this forum is simply a way for coaches, men and women, to discuss issues that arise in relation to either being a woman coach or coaching women of all ages.

This week, after we complete the inaugural NRA Level III Shotgun Coach Certification, Terri DeWitt and I will moderate a working session, comprised of men and women coaches, addressing the new Shooting Sports Coaches Association. The information gathered this past year, along with responses from the upcoming session, will be presented to those attending the Biennial Coaching Conference this weekend. The focus of SSCA, as well as this forum, is education, awareness, and ways to increase women coaches in pistol, rifle, and shotgun disciplines. No matter what you personally believe, the ratio of women to men coaching shooting sports does not correlate to the shooting population we serve, and we aim to change that.

Sally Stevens
NRA Certified Shotgun Coach, Level II
National Shotgun Coach Development Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:11 am 

I'm glad to see a forum for female coaches. I'm a coach in AZ and I have just started a BSA Venture Crew for 14 to 20 Boys and Girls. We are a Venture crew that is into the shooting sports and we do not have any females at this time. Sense we are required to have a female coach as part of our crew so we can have females join our crew. If you know of any rifle, pistol (not just 10 meter) and Archery female coach/es in Phx, AZ area please have her PM me. Our Venture Crew is run out American Legion Post 2 Tempe, AZ.

NRA/USA Shooting/CMP (NCDS)
Coach Level 2 Rifle and Pistol,
NRA CRSO, NASP Basic Archery Instructor,
USA Archery Level 2, Boy Scout Rifle &
Archery Merit Badge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 pm 

If I may be so bold as to make an observation here.......
I was a chassis engineer and tuner in Quarter Midget Racing.
The all taught me a lot, especially the young women.
Their brains are wired differently then boys.
They are better analytical thinkers and were more tactically aware than the boys
and stayed that way until testerone and reflex development in boys altered the playing field
There is nothing different in the material that must be absorbed by either a male or female competitor
but the methods of delivery can become a bit gender specific due to the different modes of learning between the sexes.

So Yes, its the same stuff, and Coaching is Coaching, But if you can communicate clearly with a female competitor,
the results happen using paths different than men..... Neither Good, or Bad, just different. Personally I think
women have a better chance of covering the mental aspects of shooting, just my 2 cents.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:36 am 

Men and women are different! With seperate but overlapping bell shaped curves, of masculine and feminine traits. Preteens are different than teens are different than adults. Im very open to discussion on how to coach different personalities. Reinkemeirs book puts athletes into what im calling hot and cold. Other recent work suggests trying to win can lead to choking for some while trying not to lose can lead to choking for others. Lots of ways to divide personalities into groups, which leads to successful relationships and understanding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:36 am 

Hoo-boy, this may get me in trouble ... hope not:

This thread has drifted off topic.

Even a moron coach knows you have to coach m&w different.
The point of this thread was why do women coaches need a separate area?

Do women want to make it seem there is a big secret to coaching women???
I call BS there
Do women have a secret to coaching men???
I call BS there too
Do men have a secret to coaching women
BS
Do men have a secret to coaching men
BS again

Why are the women under-represented in the coaching community?
Dunno & don't care ... I think the opportunities are the same now. My daughter wants to coach and I applaud her.

Maybe back in the "day" coaching was seen as a mans game I guess ... it was cultural ... now the culture has changed (OK ... maybe just changing), and women are welcome.

There are no "big secrets" ... only hard work. learning how to relate to your individual athletes --- individually --- is a requirement/goal of coaches in ANY co-ed sport.
And the successful women coaches I've seen are capable of relating to either gender.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 pm 

jhmartin wrote:
Why are the women under-represented in the coaching community?
Dunno & don't care ...

You should care, Joel.
You should.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:16 pm 

Alexander wrote:
You should care, Joel. You should.

I really don't think there is a reason.
The reason I "don't care" is there is no reason the women cannot excel.
IT IS NOT AN ISSUE.
The field is there. I believe it is level for all. It takes a desire and a passion to coach a shooter or team to a high level. I have no doubt there are women capable. No doubt at all.

So ... why are women "under represented" ... they started filling the field later ... it won't happen overnight ... can't happen overnight. More gals just have to get into it.
Why is that an issue? Who/What is stopping the influx? (nothing I can see)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:20 pm 

I'm a level one. I coach too. I am not a woman so I know that at the end of the day I don't have the answer to the girls in the club if it is female related issue. I can understand a clothing complain because women body changes often, but that does not mean I have the answer. Coaching is more than about the fundamentals of shooting. I hang around this forum hoping to pick up some tips for some of my pupils. Yes, to say that coaching girls is the same as coaching boys is pretty ignorant, unless all of them are under age 10., and even that has some temperament differences. To say treating the gals just like treating the boys is equally ignorant. Finally dealing with the parent of a boy is different from dealing with a parent of a girl. That is just my observation. I find out it is easier to coach younger girls and older boys. YMMV. Back to lurking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:53 pm 

Melissa110 wrote:
The reason there is a forum for women coaches is because 95% of men do not take women coaches seriously and you just showed the world proof.

They do not take the women shooters seriously either... for competition... we are stuck in 1960s and should be on the arm of a man over in my area... I'd be happy being coached by either gender at this point to get better at shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:46 pm 

missfire wrote:
Melissa110 wrote:
The reason there is a forum for women coaches is because 95% of men do not take women coaches seriously and you just showed the world proof.

They do not take the women shooters seriously either... for competition... we are stuck in 1960s and should be on the arm of a man over in my area... I'd be happy being coached by either gender at this point to get better at shooting.

Well, where are you from? Lots of coaches across the nation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:56 pm 

missfire wrote:
Melissa110 wrote:

Crikey! That colour font is sure hard to read.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:29 pm 

Quote:
Well, where are you from? Lots of coaches across the nation.

I believe I mentioned in my other post, Watertown, New York 13601 for half the year and Kingston, Ontario for the other half