Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting?

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, smoking357

gimgim

Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting?

Post by gimgim »

Looking for opinions on the purchase of my first shotgun. I am interested in practicing international disciplines.
The Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting (30", 12ga ?) seems to be a decent choice, and I can probably find it online below the $2k USD.
Anything I should know? There are also a bunch of different models with differences I can't quite understand (barrel length, for ex.).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
sparky

Re: Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting?

Post by sparky »

They're nice guns. Same basic action as Beretta's more competition-specific 682, except the 682 has a trigger adjustable for length of pull, while the 686 doesn't. There are several variations in barrels...different lengths, high and flat ribs, etc. I believe most folks shooting international trap tend to shoot with shorter barrels (around 30") choked Improved Modified and Full, with flat rlbs.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Big differences between an Intl Trap gun and an Intl Skeet gun.
I shot Full with a Rem 1100 and was the rude jerk hitting guys with the emptys, but it crushed the trap birds.
If you have an OU you like now, just play the game and see if you like it. The birds haul ass and its a hoot and a half.
In an OU, Id shoot full and full or a turkey tube for the 2nd shot, Fiocci makes good store bought 7/8oz ammo for the game.
metalsmith

Post by metalsmith »

I shoot a 686 Sporting, and enjoy it. With shotguns however, stock fit is very important. I had the stock custom fit for my height and being left handed. If you get a chance shoot one and see how the stock fits for you.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I completely agree with stock fit.....
My 1100 lines in a Jack West adjustable stock that is ballasted up to get great swing dynamics......