Post your gun thread 2014

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

turbomike15

Post your gun thread 2014

Post by turbomike15 »

I've wanted to start one of these for a while now. This is straight forward, post a picture of your biathlon rifle and little bit about it. I'll start:
My Izhmash 7-3 started like most Russian rifles do, with a bad harness, an even worse sling, sights labelled in Cyrillic and a stock that seemed to weigh 15 lbs:
I quickly purchased the "1st gen" Bear Mark2A from the Nordic Marksman for my Izh, which reduced the overall weight by ALOT.
At this point I couldn't stop buying things from Mark at Altius, adding a full set of Core Sport accessories, the biggest blinder available/aperture extension, and Anschutz adjustable apertures (AHG 9520 and 9510). I left the rifle this way for about a season.
Another athlete convinced me to try his Larsen harness and I was hooked. Here is a picture during the transition between Core sport accessories and Larsen. Obligatory mountain bike in the foreground.
And here is the 7-3's final state. Full Larsen accessories with 1st gen Bear Mark2A stock.

I haven't added any sort of razzle dazzle (paint/stickers etc) to my gun but I'm open to suggestions.
egghead

Re: Post your gun thread 2014

Post by egghead »

2nd generation ESA stock with Savage Mark II rifle. Straight from ESA to the range.
pcw

Post by pcw »

I can't post pictures but, I have and 1827 fortner with the pre V2 stock. It was a club rifle from MWSC. The stock has 2 cracks in it, one by the clip carrier, and one down in the barrel channel. It is a heavy barreled 1827. I'm wondering if I really start racing if I should replace the stock. The V2 stock from Anschutz is about 500 bucks as opposed to the Bear or the EAS stocks and I have all the hardware. I have also considered wether on not I should rebarrel the rifle with a lighter barrel. I'll worry about that once my ski times are faster.

I traded for a Savage mk ii in a Boyds stock just before I got the 1827 and I bought the snow sights from EAS so I could get going with it. I later did the Apachee trigger upgrade, so it shoots well. The Savage has sat since I got the 1827 and now I wonder what to do with it. I would rather spend the money on the 1827. I have seen some 1427s out at the range and they appear to have a much smoother bolt than the Savage, but of course the 1427s have 1000s of rounds through them.

Cheers, Philip
2whlrcr

Post by 2whlrcr »

Mine is in the black and gray case. :)

turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

pcw wrote:I can't post pictures but, I have and 1827 fortner with the pre V2 stock. It was a club rifle from MWSC. The stock has 2 cracks in it, one by the clip carrier, and one down in the barrel channel. It is a heavy barreled 1827. I'm wondering if I really start racing if I should replace the stock. The V2 stock from Anschutz is about 500 bucks as opposed to the Bear or the EAS stocks and I have all the hardware. I have also considered wether on not I should rebarrel the rifle with a lighter barrel. I'll worry about that once my ski times are faster.

I traded for a Savage mk ii in a Boyds stock just before I got the 1827 and I bought the snow sights from EAS so I could get going with it. I later did the Apachee trigger upgrade, so it shoots well. The Savage has sat since I got the 1827 and now I wonder what to do with it. I would rather spend the money on the 1827. I have seen some 1427s out at the range and they appear to have a much smoother bolt than the Savage, but of course the 1427s have 1000s of rounds through them.

Cheers, Philip

Philip,

Can you describe the Apachee trigger upgrade a bit? I know there a lot of forum members who shoot that rifle.

Thanks
pcw

Post by pcw »

Hey Mike,

The Apachee trigger upgrade is a kit sold by a fellow on rimfirecentral.com. For a modest price, he supplies you with new pins for your trigger and as I remember maybe new springs. The kit will bring the trigger pull down on a MKII to about 1lb or less without altering any pieces and can easily be removed if you want to bring it back to factory spec. I think it is money well spent.

Cheers, Philip
egghead

Post by egghead »

The savage rifles from ESA can be optioned to lighten the trigger pull as well.