Education Please

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

josafoot

Education Please

Post by josafoot »

I love rifle shooting for the technical aspect. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of each of the types of actions and some key points about them.

Here is what I know:

Bolt action:
Older design the was from the traditional military/hunting rifles that started the sport out. Not technically unique. Slower to cycle and may require resetting position.

Toggle Action:
The best I can tell, this is similar to the Luger or C96 Mauser pistol. The op-rod gets pulled and the arm retreats, pulling the casing and allowing for the next round to seat into the chamber. When the op-rod is closed, it pushes the new round into the chamber. I imagine that these actions require more force to work properly, are possibly more prone to jamming and are not as good as fortner (based on price tag).

Fortner action:

I am not really sure how these work, even after reading up on them. They seem to be the most desirable as they are the most expensive.
T191032

Post by T191032 »

Bolt-Actions are the dominant action in the sporting industry today, you can certainly find them almost anywhere.

Toggle-Actions are faster to work than the conventional bolt-actions.

Fortner actions are similar to the Toggle-action in function.

http://qz.com/54254/this-german-inventi ... biathlons/

For pure speed, the Toggle & Fortner are above the conventional bolt-actions by a wide margin.

Finding the Advantages & Disadvantages are a simple as a Google search. :)
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

Fortner are faster than toggle (just barely) and much faster than bolt. Fortner are more delicate and complicated than toggle and require brass to dryfire. The price point difference in toggle action and fortner is more due to stock and barrel differences in the Izh and Annies rather than the action IMHO. I own an Izh and maybe I'm defending it over its German brother.. It seems like the Izh actions can be very good or rather poor due to manufacturing QA/QC (or lack there of), all of the Annies seem to be excellent.