Biathlon Rifle

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

dahigg

Biathlon Rifle

Post by dahigg »

Where can I buy a good biathlon rifle?

I'm looking for an "olympic quality" rifle.

Thanks.
RonBott

Post by RonBott »

You're looking for an Anschutz 1827 biathlon rifle. Altius Guns in Montana, Champions Choice in Tennessee or Nordic Marksman in Canada come to mind as places who typically have them in stock.
conradin

Post by conradin »

The only alternative I think is the IZH.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Specifically, you want the 1827F, which is the straight pull Fortner action. The 1827 was also available in a bolt action, which you do not want.

I thought there were two alternatives, though I am not certain of this.

I thought there was a straight pull model that used a toggle, and then I thought there was also one where the 'pistol' grip on the rifle rotated to cycle the bolt.
crasher

Post by crasher »

ShootingSight wrote: I thought there was a straight pull model that used a toggle, and then I thought there was also one where the 'pistol' grip on the rifle rotated to cycle the bolt.
The one that uses a toggle would be the Izhmash 7-4 or 7-3. If you are in the US you won't see too any new ones for sale unless they are NOS. The importer has yet to import any, they were listed as the official importer in 2012... Marc Shepherd was also importing them, but I've not seen any listed on his site for a while.

The 'pistol' grip rifles no longer exist, but there are 3 that I know of, Krico Biathlon 360 Sii and Suhl 626/629.

I'm lucky enough to own a Suhl 629, I'm still on the hunt for a Krico just because.

http://youtu.be/JqN-pV3AcOU

For those that don't speak German.

http://youtu.be/zBVeZNviOXA
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

Where can I buy a good biathlon rifle?
Nowhere right now that I can see - unless you are left handed. Altius appears to have one rifle available.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Also, contact the US Biathlon Association. I think many/all of the US biathletes are plugged in there, so if there is used equipment available, they probably have a lead on it.

Years ago, when I was running summer biathlons, that's how I bought mine.

Finally, I know you asked for an 'olympic quality' so this is not answering your need, but as a 'beginner model', the Marlin 2000 target rifle was also made in a biathlon model. It was still a bolt action, but Marlin adopted it for a 5 round magazine, and they made a blue plastic stock that was deeper in the foreend, so it was shaped like a biathlon rifle.

No idea if they still make them, but if you hunt around on gunbroker, you might turn one up eventually.
dahigg

Post by dahigg »

Thanks a lot everyone for the great advice. I've decided to get the Anschutz as soon as I can find a place with one in stock.