rear sight help

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

crasher

rear sight help

Post by crasher »

I found a few older Anschutz rifles with turn bolts. None of them have rear sights. I was wondering if anyone here has used this sight.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 328&page=1

I am trying to build up a youth program outside of Boston and am doing it out of my own pocket at the moment. The club I belong to purchased 4 regulation and 4 practice targets a few years back. But the program went away and I've decided to bring it back to life.
Last edited by crasher on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

This sight has no snow cover. Unless you can improvise one like I did on my Redfield International. I use a cork on a small wire. I did the same on my front sight. I used a spring loaded scope cover on the front of my Tomkins sight and epoxied plastic to extend it over the barrel. Good luck with your club.
Chris
crasher

Post by crasher »

For the most part, rifles will be racked. So snow covers aren't really necessary for now.

Can you take pics of you set up for future reference though?
crasher

Post by crasher »

Picked up the rifles yesterday. 6 barreled receivers with varying degrees of completeness. I was able to get 3 rifles in working order, feed, chamber and fire.

There were 4 bolts that came with the rifles, so I should be able to get 1 more functioning. But its a laundry list of parts I need to locate. From research, it seems that the majority of parts for the 54 bolt are universal... So I can use the 1700 series parts on my rifles. That is what I hope...

I'm going to have a lot of repairs to do on the wood. Any suggestions for cracks?
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

For the cracks not in the wrist area of the stock, spread the crack and fill with epoxy. Then clamp the crack together for 24 hours. Wrist cracks usually require an aluminum dowel or two to butress this critical junction.
BTW, 54 barreled actions with skinny barrels are an excellent way to start up a program for youth biathlon. I think a few people here on this forum are drooling on their keyboards, myself included. They can take those rifles and shoot smallbore 3P and be competitive.
Good luck, Chris