Barrel Weights, who and how many?

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

ptperson

Barrel Weights, who and how many?

Post by ptperson »

Here it is, when I bought my rifle I was told to take them all off as it's just more weight to stabilize. He also said that the idea is that more weight at the end of the barrel brings the center of mass of the gun forward, making the sight picture more stable (if you know what you are doing). Is this all correct?

I am without a doubt a novice and am still working on the fundamentals. Should I be experimenting with barrel weights or should I just put them out of my mind until ... ???

Do you add weight to your barrel? How much? What is your skill level? When did you add weight to your barrel?
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Don't know which gun you bought, but I figure it is a Anschutz Fortner. Does it have a butt hook? Anyways, the butt hook is more important than barrel weights for now. Buy the "Ways of the Rifle" to improve your position in prone and standing. Standing requires a lot of practice and technique, a lot!!! Work with your rifle to build up your endurance and reduce your wobble. I shoot a 10M airgun 60 shot match each day with my son when possible. It helps a lot and can just about be done anywhere.
You can buy the book at Champions Choice.
Chris
ptperson

Post by ptperson »

Awesome, thanks Chris. I actually bought the Izmash 7-3. I'm a starving graduate student, which means that I made many financially irresponsible decisions to pull that off. It has a similar butt hook but is no Fortner. I will pick up the book.