Biathlon equipment suggestion

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

plop

Biathlon equipment suggestion

Post by plop »

Looking to get into biathlon by starting with Summer Biathlon. I realize that summer and winter biathlon are different sports but I was wondering if they use the same rifles? This way, I can learn the basics during the summer and ease into winter biathlon later in the year.

How many yrs does it take to learn how to do biathlon?
Where can I find coaches, clubs, competitions in CA?
Where can I find a reliable biathlon rifle store?
What's the most common biathlon rifle (make and model)?
What is the make and model of the rifle used by Olympic athlete?

Any other suggestions I am all ears.
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

I'll take a stab at a few of your questions.
Auburn Ski Club has training and biathlon matches - http://www.auburnskiclub.org/content/view/23/37/

Northstar has biathlon in the winter - http://www.northstarattahoe.com/info/ski/biathlon.asp

As far as rifles, take a look at Altius Firearms and give them a call - http://www.altiusguns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=37_42
joel

Post by joel »

I"m very interested in Summer Biathlon. Thanks for this information.

Joel
HotDiggity

Post by HotDiggity »

I'll field a couple of those questions as well:

The only two commercially available biathlon rifles are the Izhmash Biathlon 7-3 and 7-4 and the Anschutz Fortner. That said, the only REAL requirements are that the rifle be .22 lr caliber, have no optical sights, be mechanically operated (no semi-autos), and have no more than a 5-round magazine.

As far as how long it takes to become proficient? That's up to the individual and how much time you have to devote to training. :)

As has been suggested, talk to Marc at Altius Guns.
Crunchycard

Post by Crunchycard »

It took me one season to learn biathlon for the most part

your best friend google

altiusguns.com

and for your last question get a ishmash 7-3 or 7-4
jhroth

Welcome to Biathlon,

Post by jhroth »

First, let explain the summer biathlon program;
it a running or biking event in which the rifle is left on the racks while the shooter is out on the circuit. There may be two distinct circuit, one maybe a 1.0 km circuit the second maybe a 2.0km. for a minimum distance is 7.0km.
there is a 1.0km penalty circuit for those that like to miss.

IF you are under 18 yrs age, then your rifle with be spotted on firing point, as underage shooters ARE NOT allowed to handle rifles OFF the firing point.

Over 16, then you do a circuit, enter the range, obtain rifle from rack and MUZZLE-UP carry to firing point, get into position THEN load and engage the targets. Scorer or yourself will record hits [X]or misses [O] (Some biathlons used honor system) Clear rifle and return to rack as you originally removed it.
Complete the next circuit and return and repeat as necessary.

When using bikes, dismount walk into range and position for exiting, keeping with the range regs for parking the bike.

For Winter, basically the same except you will carry the rifle while skiing, except for those under 18yrs. During WINTER the EMPTY magazine is required to remain in the rifle. ONLY removed and a full mag is allowed WHEN on a firing point.

The suggested rifle are top-of the- line, if your on budget, then look for a
bolt-action biathlon rifle. GET TO KNOW THE FUNDAMENTALS of the sport, then get the equipment as you need it.

I use a Marlin 2000 for my use and support (not compete) in the WASHINGTON BIATHLON ASSOCIATION (google for website), they have more information and links to other sites .

Find what you can and ask more question.

Hope this helps.
joel

Post by joel »

That's great information, many thanks. I wish the running portion was longer, but it still sounds like fun.

Joel