Shooting drills?

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

How often do you get to the range in the off season?

once a month
29%
2-4 times a month
No votes
once a week
29%
What range?
No votes
"I love the smell of rimfire primers in the morn'n."
43%

Total votes: 7

ptperson

Shooting drills?

Post by ptperson »

I've never competed with a firearm of any kind. My background with firearms is more marathon country boy than Olympic style competition. That being said, how do you "train" for this sort of thing apart from putting lead down range? I've got the "practice shooting w and elevated HR" and "endurance" thing but what about just shooting practice? Are there drills? I'm more than happy to put in hours at the range, but I'm not sure if that's the best use of my time.

Also, let's see how this poll thing works. It might be a gigantic mess but what the heck.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Now, both my sons are in Biathlon. They shoot smallbore 3P, 4P and mini-palma. My 15 year old is starting highpower. We are also waiting for a Feinwerkbau 700 air rifle due to be shipped in less than two weeks. I feel the best way to practice is to shoot in competition and get used to the pressure. In the world of smallbore, both the prone and standing targets in biathlon are pretty easy if you don't through the heartrate into consideration. The 100 yard mini palma reduced from the 1000yd target has an X and 10 ring of 1 inch. My sons rifle coach will clean this target unless the wind is howling and switching and even then he will shoot a 446 out of 450. The 50ft 3P 10 ring is the size of this period at the end of this sentence. In highpower, the 200yd standing X and 10 ring is 3.35 inches and no sling is allowed. Shooting in competitions with these smaller targets during the summer will make the Biathlon targets appear like pumkins. The air rifle allows daily practice especially for standing. Apart from the initial investment, the fodder is cheap. You can buy 500 pellets for $3-6.00. Just my take
Chris
HotDiggity

Post by HotDiggity »

Once you have the shooting fundamentals down, dryfire, dryfire and dryfire some more (at appropriately scaled targets, of course. Some good drills and targets can be found here:

http://www.wabiathlon.org/misc/Articles.htm
ptperson

Post by ptperson »

HotDiggity wrote:Once you have the shooting fundamentals down, dryfire, dryfire and dryfire some more (at appropriately scaled targets, of course. Some good drills and targets can be found here:

http://www.wabiathlon.org/misc/Articles.htm
Thanks! their is a lot of good stuff on that page. I'm not quite sure how I had missed it before as I've been on other parts of their page.
evasm9901

your own range

Post by evasm9901 »

It really doesn't take a whole lot to set up your own range. Not sure what kind of land you have, but if you go to Lowe's you can buy most of the products for very little money. You do need to make sure that you will not be shooting into your neighbor's backyard. You may also check with Portland roofing contractors to see if they are able to do the work. I have no idea what the quote might look like.
wisley

Post by wisley »

In every sport, the coaches try to get the best performances from their players. In activities such as basketball it is important that the team have all round abilities. To be able to dribble and handle a basket ball well is not actually so difficult; it is putting points on the scoreboard that is the hardest aspect. If you are to increase the chance of your team winning games then you should practice basketball shooting drills as often as possible.

google plus one