Cold Weather Tests

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

ptperson

Cold Weather Tests

Post by ptperson »

Hey, I am still really new to this and was wondering who out there has tested their rifles accuracy in cold vs warm weather. I didn’t get around to it this winter (but should have) and can’t find many people that have written this type of reports. I am going to the range this week and will shoot a five round test from a bench with sand bags and hope for a cold snap to roll through some time soon.
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

Well, accuracy in the Izhmash is supposed to fall off under 17 degrees F . Problem is, it's almost never that cold here in California. Which isn't really a problem as I don't think I'd like shooting in temps that low. I think only you guys in the center of the country can test or need worry about cold weather shooting performance.
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

Temperature specific ammo makes a huge difference regardless of the brand. I use Fiocchi SM340 which is speced for cold temps. The ammo is also lubed with Teflon so it doesn't become hard in the cold and I don't spend a lot of time wiping off the lube to keep it from gacking up the works. I train with M320 and at temps below 40F the 320 starts falling off and the 340 starts showing its value. The 340 is great all temp ammo but too pricey for training.

cold temp ammo has a hotter primer and is much more consistent as temps drop. I've used the 340 at -25F and it worked flawlessly. I didn't and had a difficult time feeling my face on the comb. My fingers were fine for the minute I wasn't moving.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I know that it is a problem for the Ishmash 7-3 and 7-4. My sons rifle was built from a 7-2 with a .750 barrel. It shot lights out in -5 degrees F. I think the 7-3 and 7-4 has a skinnier barrel.
Chris
ptperson

Post by ptperson »

holi wrote:There's the usual assault rifle, a sniper rifle, a missile launcher, and a light machine gun to equip the game's four classes, although you can unlock up to40 different weapons or pieces of equipment
This is what happens when we let gamers out. Oh well.