Nothing in this sport is cheap!

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

Levergun59

Nothing in this sport is cheap!

Post by Levergun59 »

My 14 year old will practice with the Wisconsin Junior Biathlon program starting in May. The first month will be range practice once a week. After that they will slowly build up momentum in conditioning with hiking, running and roller skiing. I talked to the gents at Nordic Skater and they talked me into a pair of Ski Skett Sharks. The skis and bindings went about $250. but the brake was an extra $100. Ouch! Oh well, in my mind the brake is almost mandatory. I guess most of the other members are using Marwe 610's which run about $100. more and that does not come with a brake. Has anyone tried the Sea Skett's? Anyways, its his birthday present and he wants to ski around town and show off to the girls and do his training program. I can't think of a better present than to get his butt of of the computer chair during the off-season
Chris
RonBott

Post by RonBott »

You are correct, the only bad thing about this otherwise amazing sport is that it can be costly. I think most clubs try to do a good job providing equipment for beginners. The Marwe 610's for years have been wide regarded as the best, in my opinion they are worth the investment. Unlike snow skis your son will need to replace as he grows, for rollerskis after the initial investment they should last many years. You will need to ocassionally replace the wheels as they wear out, but the Marwe wheels are very durable and for a beginner would last several years at least. Also the brake probably isn't as necessary as you think, might want to check with the coach. Good luck, sounds like your son is hooked!
Shooterer

Re: Nothing in this sport is cheap!

Post by Shooterer »

Levergun59 wrote:I can't think of a better present than to get his butt of of the computer chair during the off-season
Chris
More ammo?
ptperson

Re: Nothing in this sport is cheap!

Post by ptperson »

Shooterer wrote:
Levergun59 wrote:I can't think of a better present than to get his butt of of the computer chair during the off-season
Chris
More ammo?
Maybe not better, but hard to tell. :) Glad your kid is hooked on something that is good for him in so many ways.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Thanks for the comments gents. Actually he is busy during the offseason. He will shoot the State 4P championship this weekend in De Pere and a bunch of 100yd mini palma's during the summer. He is also going to shoot highpower as soon as the bloop tube for his rifle gets here. He also shoots trap on his high school team, so he has plenty too do. I just want him to jumpstart his physical conditioning for next season. He will probably join a cross country ski team next November to work on his technique and endurance. Biathlon however is his major love.
Chris