10m Air to Biathlon rifle - Stock fit?

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

ARshooter

10m Air to Biathlon rifle - Stock fit?

Post by ARshooter »

Coming more from the 10m air rifle side, I finally bought a used Anschutz Fortner hoping to get more into biathlons next year.
I am 6'2 and use a significant sight riser block for my sights. Looking at a lot of photos most biathletes don't seem to use any. How does the stock fit differ between the 2 sports and how does the position differ in general.
Any suggestions how I can make changes to my stock? Longer butt plate etc.. I got an older stock, so the butt plate is kind of short and I don't have the add. left hand support under the fore end.
Thanks for your help
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Arshooter,
The reason your sight riser won't work is that you then would have to raise the front sight. This is a problem because the snow cover would not protect the front sight. You can always get a spacer for your rifle butt and add an Altius butt plate for extra length. Altius, Larsen and Eberle all make aftermarket stocks for the Anschutz and Ismash biathlon rifles. The newer stocks actually have a belly that runs down below the trigger housing for standing. Still, if you are handy, you can always add a half inch to the snowcover if you cut it in two and weld in a little sheet metal. Hope this helps
Chris
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

Thanks for the help. I did cut a longer buttplate out of ply wood last night and it does help quiet a bit. May make it even longer. If I can figure out a way to add some wood under the trigger without obstructing the magazine loading I'll be all set.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Arshooter,
I just watched the world championships in Russia, and I noticed the front sights were elevated more than the standard stock biathlon rifle. Sure enough, I went to the Anschutz web page and they have adjustable front sight mounts and sight risers for the rear. Thought you would like to know.
Chris
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

Levergun,
I think for the price of the new front sight etc, I can almost buy a new stock.
For now I am trying to work with what I have. One gets spoiled from a modern 10m rifle.
Looking forward though to taking my new rifle to the range this weekend.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Arshooter,
Make sure you bring a lot of different types of ammo to the range. You might try to get a hold of some polar 22 ammo. My sons Ismash loved RWS R-50 ouch, but it is not so bad as you only shoot 10 to 20 rounds in a competition and 5-10 sighters before the match. Otherwise we shot Eley Club or CCI Standard during the practices. He just finished the Wisconsin biathlon championship last week and has three indoor matches scheduled in the next three weeks. You can be competitive with that rifle either indoors or in mini palma's during the summer. His rifle will shoot 1/4" groups at 50yds and your rifle should be close or better. The cuff sling can take some getting used too, but if set up properly it can hold some good groups.
Chris