It's gotta be easier than this!!

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

barcabarca

It's gotta be easier than this!!

Post by barcabarca »

Im not sure about what I am experiencing here.

Is it really true that all biathletes started off with plunking down 1500-3000 dollars for a new rifle for their first season? Really?

I noticed that Savage made a one off commemorative rifle; a MkII FVTSS to commemorate the 2010 Vancouver olympics. Doesn't that alone mean that it might not be a bad rifle to start with??

For a first season, it doesn't seem like a problem to begin with a good basic target rifle like a savage 93 or Mk II and then trade up after you learn the basics of positioning, carrying, etc...

Do you really need a 200 dollar harness to carry your rifle? It looks like a slightly modified backpack harness with bungy cords for bottom ties. What makes it so spectacular?

And snow covers? Really? Try to find them if you don't want to purchase them with your Anschutz or IZH 7-4. Maybe to shave a few half seconds in year three...but a "requirement?"

I know that Kevin6Q said that it's a matter of "cry once or cry many times" but cmon. How does anyone who is interested in the sport become a beginner with such a prohibitive cost hurdle just to learn?

I've got a wife, kids and a job. I want to try. Please give me your opinion about what is a lower cost alternative to getting my first year in. Maybe I will drag all of my friends out and we will pay our fees to the club since we think it's fun. Wouldn't that be a better outcome?

Thanks
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

You don't indicate where you live. Here in Northern California the Auburn Ski Club and Northstar ski resort put on biathlon clinics and races where you can use the club guns.

You can use your own suitable .22 target rifle in the races here too. However, if it does not have a real biathlon harness, you can't carry it in the race. It has to stay in a rack and you must pick it up after skiing into the range.

The Izhmash 7-4 really isn't that expensive for a target rifle. Try High Power or Palma / Long Range rifle shooting and see what those rifles can cost.
barcabarca

expensive start...

Post by barcabarca »

I get that other shooting sports can be expensive. I shoot in air rifle field target and am already a few thousand into that sport as well. BUT there was a low cost of initial entry at first. The sport is great as it has a "shoot what you got" vibe for beginners. When you want to win, then you spend. I guess I will have to suck it up and save some dollars. Thanks for your response.
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

Part of the problem is there are really only 2 biathlon rifles available and both models / brands can be hard to find and buy. There are occasional used Izhmash rifles around though. Most other shooting sports have far more choices gun wise.
ARshooter

Re: expensive start...

Post by ARshooter »

barcabarca wrote:I get that other shooting sports can be expensive. I shoot in air rifle field target and am already a few thousand into that sport as well. BUT there was a low cost of initial entry at first. The sport is great as it has a "shoot what you got" vibe for beginners. When you want to win, then you spend. I guess I will have to suck it up and save some dollars. Thanks for your response.
I am selling my Field target rifle and will buy a Biathlon Air Rifle (FWB P75 or Steyr) for practice at home. After that I think there is no way around a Biathlon rifle for racing. I caught the bug last weekend.
RonBott

Post by RonBott »

Most clubs generally have club rifles you can use, at least until you can figure out if the sport is right for you. It's a relatively niche sport, so rifle manufacturers aren't going to sell many biathlon rifles. This is probably why the choices are so limited. That along with the fact that "accurate rifle" and "inexpensive" generally don't go together for biathlon or any target shooting discipline.
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

BTW, the harness is not $ 200.00. More like $ 89.00.

http://www.altiusguns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26_55
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

After limited venues, expense is a huge barrier to entry for biathlon. Add in the cost of decent skis and expendables like ammo and it is not an inexpensive sport. Many clubs have loaner rifles and will allow you to use any bolt action rifle with legal sights. You can race with a Savage FVT but you won't want to after using a proper rifle. Some clubs have leasing programs too. The hassle with leasing is limited ability to modify the gun to fit you much beyond the built in adjustments. Most rifle sales are made FTF and availability is by word of mouth. The $200 for the harness includes any rail and labor to install it.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

You can get by with a Marlin 2000 Biathlon rifle. The last one I saw went for $450. with a Target scope. My son's $270 Biathlon Basic will shoot 1/4" groups at 50yds with R-50 ammo. It will shoot with any Anschutz. He also shoots it in 4P and Mini-palma. Yes I had to heavily modify the basic but I spent less than $500.00. I bought him used Fischer skis with bindings for $80.00. In total I have spent $800 and he is competive in his age braket. His first race is next weekend, so we will see how he does. Hope this helps.
Chris
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

You can get by with a Marlin 2000 Biathlon rifle. The last one I saw went for $450. with a Target scope. My son's $270 Biathlon Basic will shoot 1/4" groups at 50yds with R-50 ammo. It will shoot with any Anschutz. He also shoots it in 4P and Mini-palma. Yes I had to heavily modify the basic but I spent less than $500.00. I bought him used Fischer skis with bindings for $80.00. In total I have spent $800 and he is competive in his age braket. His first race is next weekend, so we will see how he does. Hope this helps.
Chris
Sure, this works, especially for kids. If you are an adult and want to actually carry the rifle in the race though, you won't be allowed to without a proper harness. And the reason they require proper biathlon rifles with a muzzle cover to race with is that if you crash while skiing, it is possible to jam your barrel into the snow with disasterous results. There is a reason they are made the way they are.
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

The Marlin was speced as a summer biathlon rifle where the guns remain on a rack at the range while athletes run the lap.
ptperson

Re: expensive start...

Post by ptperson »

barcabarca wrote:I get that other shooting sports can be expensive. I shoot in air rifle field target and am already a few thousand into that sport as well. BUT there was a low cost of initial entry at first. The sport is great as it has a "shoot what you got" vibe for beginners. When you want to win, then you spend. I guess I will have to suck it up and save some dollars. Thanks for your response.
If you are ever in Western MT let me know and you are more than welcome to go to the range with me. I understand the frustration in dropping 4x what my first car cost for something that I had limited experience with.
Craig1956

Post by Craig1956 »

I just got back from the 4th Annual Mammoth Biathlon. A great experience. Just wanted to mention that at all the biathlon races I have been to so far, you don't even need a rifle - it's provided along with match grade ammo. So just go race in some and if you like it, buy a rifle. If not, race and use the provided rifles. It's a great experience either way ! Craig
hour0862

Post by hour0862 »

You can use your own suitable .22 target rifle in the races here too. However, if it does not have a real biathlon harness, you can't carry it in the race. It has to stay in a rack and you must pick it up after skiing into the range.
British Food