anyone using izmash 7-2 for first year of biathlon?

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

barcabarca

anyone using izmash 7-2 for first year of biathlon?

Post by barcabarca »

I want to try biathlon and compete. I can't afford a 7-4 will a 7-2 work ok for my first year? It doesn't get too cold in the PNW only around +25 to +38deg around here... what other "beginner" rifles are others using in their first year?
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

This is a case of cry once or many times. The 7-2 will work fine for summer with less modifications but has a few more speedbumps for winter use.

Most 7-2s come without sights. MT Guns has figured a way to add decent peeps sights for a few hundred bucks. I think Mac uses an Air Arms rear mounted in a scope ring. I've seen this and used it and it works quite well. In the winter the lack of a snow cover will become a huge headache the first time you're out while it's snowing. One flake on the rear will drive you nuts as it changes the view. You can blow them out but sometimes the flake acts like a seed crystal and you just frost up the aperture with the moisture from your breath. Flakes up front are also a distraction and a pain to clear. You might find a set of biathlon sights but these are a bit rare and will need a bit of smithing to fit them up.

The 7-2 will need a handrail , sling and stop. This is true for both summer and winter use. this is most likely a $150 mod and a bit of work to inset the rail. You can screw the stop right to the stock but minute adjustments are difficult.

For winter you will need a carry harness. This is another $200-400.

You'll want a mag holder which is another $50.

Figure another $600 to make the 7-2 winter race ready and this is making a few compromises with the sights.

The biggest drawback to the 7-2 is the stock. It is not adjustable at all. In general, biathlon has few limits on the rifle. The weight minimum (3.5kg w/o mags), drop from the centerline of the barrel (14cm max), a bolt action, minimum trigger weight of 500 gr (1.1lb) and no optical magnification sights. This is pretty much it.

The 7-2 is pretty shallow. Most biathletes use some form of lift to make the rifle deeper and most are right near the limit. The drop on the butt is usually not enough and the comb is too low with a Monte Carlo style stock. As with other shooting sports the fit of the rifle is super important which is why most biathlon rifles have adjustable cheek combs and butt plates and some sort of extension in the trigger guard area. This is a lot of stock work.

I have a race fiend who started with a 7-2 and made many mods with the idea of saving some cash. She ended up finding a used 7-4 for less than she put into the 7-2. Look around and you can find used 7-4 in the $1000 range which is what you'd have into a 7-2.

Where are you located? Is there a club nearby whre you can use a club gun. A club is also a great place to find a used rifle as many for sale are mostly word of mouth and not advertised.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I bought a Biathlon Basic for $270. and a 7.3 junior stock and trigger from Mark at Altius for $110. I had to do a little inletting and bedding. The stock had a crack that I repaired with epoxy, but it wasn't too hard. I fabricated an aluminum sleeve over and under the Weaver base with two set screws and a side mount for a Redfield rear sight I had sitting around. I bought a .750 clamp sight base for the front sight which I also had laying around. I still need a carry sling and a prone sling as his ISU sling will probably not cut it. My son is only 14 so he has a lot of upside. Any ideas on the slings would be appreciated.
Chris
DCFD LAD4DER

7-4 Biathlon

Post by DCFD LAD4DER »

I don't know if this will help but I have a 7-4 biathlon for sale in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. The weapon comes with sights, covers, slings, tools, etc.. The only catch is that it is left handed. Try taking a look.

Tony
DCFD
LAD4DER

Post by Guest »

It really is not that expensive to convert a 7.2. Remember you are shooting only one distance. Go to a gun show and pick up a cheap set of sights. An old Lyman, Redfield or even Mossberg sights will do. You might have to drill and tap the side of the receiver or you can check out Champions Choice for a Weaver mount. A rail and handstop from CC will run about $30.00. Rail can be inletted with a drill press or a router. I found two Freeland adjustable buttplates at a show for $25.00. I drilled and tapped the bottom of the buttplates and screwed in some threaded rod for a butthook. Cheap and effective. Your barrel is close to .750 at the muzzle and CC sells a mounting clamp on which you mount your front apeture sight. I figure it will take less than $200.00 to convert your rifle and maybe a lot less if you check out ebay or gun auction houses. You just need to be a little handy. I made an adjustable cheekpiece for the price of a few threaded screws and some epoxy. My son's rifle may look a little cheezy but it will shoot the same tiny groups as an anchutz and it has all the custom fittings to boot. Hope this helps
Duct tape Chris
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

Those mods will work for summer races where there is no chance of snow fouling the sights and you don't have to carry the rifle. Snow covers on the sights are super important. You can blow out the rear sight but the front , not so simple. Many times a snowflake will act as a seed and the moisture in the breath builds up and completely fouls and seals off the rear aperture and only a pin or some other probe can knock out the chunk of ice. IN the event of a crash the front can become packed in as can the muzzle. Everyone eventually crashes. OEB took a digger a few weeks back while racing on the WC so no athlete is immune.

The carry harness is also required for winter racing. This is a $200 investment. At some events the rifles are not carried during the lap and are picked up at the entrance to the range and re-racked after shooting. The rifles must be carried on the back.

It is possible to convert a 7-2 but for all of the effort and compromises your better off starting with a purpose built rifle.

Biathlon rifles are a bit difficult to come by as most transactions are FTF and by word of mouth. Find a club nearby and put out the word you are looking to buy something. Most clubs have loaner rifles to use in the meantime.