First shot flyers: how do biatheletes prevent them

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

541S

First shot flyers: how do biatheletes prevent them

Post by 541S »

Hello,

I am not a biathlete, but I think that your community is in the unique position to offer other rimfire shooters some advice here. The problem of first shot flyers (FSF) is often the topic on rimfire forms. By FSF I mean a flyer blamable on a cold but fouled bore, not a clean one. (Everyone expects a flyer on the first shot or two out of a cold and completely clean barrel.) I know that FSF also occur in expensive target and bench rest rifles, and that’s where you come in. You all use the finest match rifles with match chambers and shoot the most accurate ammunition. But match grade ammo is heavily lubed, and I find that this lube in cold weather often causes FSF. This happens with one of my guns, which is by no mean a match rifle; below 50 degrees Fahrenheit the first shot hits about an inch low if the barrel has cooled for more than 10 minutes. The various target disciplines allow you to warm up your barrel before shooting for score. But biathletes shoot in much colder weather and cannot shoot sighters or warmup shots, right? So how do you keep the first shot with the rest of the group? Do you use ammo with a special lube. I have read that Eley has all weather lube and makes a special round for biathlons. Like biathletes, small game hunters like myself cannot take warmup shots.
I would much appreciate your collective wisdom here.

Thanks,

541S
ssp

Re: First shot flyers: how do biatheletes prevent them

Post by ssp »

Lapua Polar Biathlon has a dry lube, as opposed to the waxy lube on most types of .22LR match ammo. I believe Eley Biathlon also has a dry lube. First round or not, this lube does not seize up in the cold to cause a FSF. Also, before each biathlon race, there is a sight in opportunity, so if there is a FSF, it will happen during sight in and not during the race.
541S

Re: First shot flyers: how do biatheletes prevent them

Post by 541S »

SSP,

Thank you! I will have to try some. Now it they only made these in hollow point. Are you listening ammo manufacturers?

Regards,