? Before Joining NRA Bullseye League

Discussion of the adaptive needs of shooters.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Spencer, Thomas Monto

chiltech500

? Before Joining NRA Bullseye League

Post by chiltech500 »

Hello,

I have a permanent injury at my femur/knee junction from a motor vehicle accident. I can walk a short distance but need to sit shooting because my leg won't allow me to put sustained weight on it. This would be my front leg in the stance for Bullseye, which I would need to put my weight on.

I have been told that NRA rules allow accommodations for handicaps. Does anyone know if this would apply in my case?

Thanks in advance.
GOVTMODEL

Rule 13

Post by GOVTMODEL »

See Rule 13-

13. PHYSICALLY DISABLED SHOOTERS
13.1 Physically Disabled Shooters - A shooter who because of a physical disability cannot fire from one or more of the prescribed shooting positions outlined in these rules, or who must use special equipment when firing is privileged to petition the NRA Protest Committee for permission to assume a special position or to use modified equipment, or both. This petition will be in the form of a written request from the person concerned to the Committee outlining in detail the reasons why the special position must be assumed or the special equipment must be used. The petition will be accompanied by pictures of the shooter in the position he desires approved and, if special equipment is required, the picture will show how this equipment is used. The petition and all pictures must be furnished in exact duplicate. The petition must be accompanied by a medical doctor’s statement if the physical disability is not completely evident in the picture submitted.
(a) Each petition will be reviewed by the NRA Protest Committee. The committee may require additional or supplementary statements, medical information or pictures. If approved, the NRA Secretary will issue a special authorization certificate to the individual concerned. Such certificates will have necessary pictures attached.
(b) Shooters who have received special authorization certificates will be required to carry them when competing in competition governed by NRA rules, and to present the certificate when requested by officials of the competition or by the NRA Official Referees or Supervisors.
(c) In the event of a protest involving the position or the equipment used by such a shooter, the Official Referee, Jury or Supervisor will compare the questioned position or equipment with the certificate and the photographs presented by the shooter. If the shooter’s position or equipment does not, in the opinion of the official, conform to that authorized by the NRA Secretary (or if the shooter has no authorized certificate or pictures), the protest shall be allowed and the shooter will be required to change immediately to the position or equipment which has been approved or to an otherwise legal position or equipment.
(d) Should a protest be carried beyond the Official Referee, Jury or Supervisor, the original protest will be endorsed by the Referee, Jury Chairman or Supervisor to show the action has been taken and will be forwarded to the National Rifle Association.
(e) National Records may not be established by use of scores fired in special positions or with special equipment as may be authorized according to this rule.
(f) Two types of authorization are issued; temporary and permanent. Permanent authorizations are issued to competitors who are permanently disabled.
chiltech500

Post by chiltech500 »

Thanks. Would that be the national NRA do you think?

The league is at my local club and I believe they are flexible - more intramural matches I believe, I've heard they are allowing folks to shoot 2 handed. Not necessary for me.
GOVTMODEL

?NRA?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Since the original post referred to the NRA, I referred to the NRA Rule!

A local club is free to make whatever accommodations it wants to in non-sanctioned events.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Even if you don't think you will ever shoot an NRA sanctioned event, I would still put the request forward. You never know when the competitive bug may bite, and you will then be prepared and can move forward without a hitch.

Additionally, there may be a time you come across some old cantankerous fart at a local match (non-sanctioned) who just can't keep from making a comment.

If, as you register for the match, you mention to the director that you have the waiver you can then easily deflect the criticism by simply stating "I'm cleared with the NRA and the Match Director ... if you have any questions I'm sure the Director would be happy to answer them for you".

You can then go about your business of having fun shooting / competing. It's a long shot that you will ever have a problem ... but I have seen this come up occasionally in the matches I've either run or competed in. It's just so very easy to be prepared, then hope you never need it.

Welcome to BE ... favor center!
chiltech500

Post by chiltech500 »

Thanks guys. Yes I will make that request because you are right about the competitive bug.

Reading the rule description posted "if the disability is not completely evident from the picture", I guess I will need my doctor's statement.

...unless I have a closeup taken in shorts where the scars and hardware show :)
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

scars and hardware isn't necessarily visible evidence. Normally that is evidence that there should no longer be a problem. It has been awhile since I looked at the NRA rules. Even though I am paralyzed and have a 15 inch scar and couldn't move 3/4 of my body if my life depended on it, I'm positive I would still need the waiver to compete at Camp Perry or a state match. Not even sure my IPC license which is much more stringent to get would be accepted. I once had the NRA paperwork filled out but never turned it in. It was fairly simple and very basic to the point it seems it would be difficult to be turned down. Even without a waiver, I have shot several pistol and rifle NRA club matches and never had an issue. I'm sure if I was winning all of them by many points, someone would have an issue. Even with no disability at all, there is certainly not an advantage in shooting sitting down. If you are in any kind of a wheelchair whatsoever, it is a disadvantage because of the flex in the strongest of chairs. good luck
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

scars and hardware isn't necessarily visible evidence. Normally that is evidence that there should no longer be a problem. It has been awhile since I looked at the NRA rules. Even though I am paralyzed and have a 15 inch scar and couldn't move 3/4 of my body if my life depended on it, I'm positive I would still need the waiver to compete at Camp Perry or a state match. Not even sure my IPC license which is much more stringent to get would be accepted. I once had the NRA paperwork filled out but never turned it in. It was fairly simple and very basic to the point it seems it would be difficult to be turned down. Even without a waiver, I have shot several pistol and rifle NRA club matches and never had an issue. I'm sure if I was winning all of them by many points, someone would have an issue. Even with no disability at all, there is certainly not an advantage in shooting sitting down. If you are in any kind of a wheelchair whatsoever, it is a disadvantage because of the flex in the strongest of chairs. good luck
chiltech500

Post by chiltech500 »

USMC0802 wrote:s Even without a waiver, I have shot several pistol and rifle NRA club matches and never had an issue. I'm sure if I was winning all of them by many points, someone would have an issue. Even with no disability at all, there is certainly not an advantage in shooting sitting down.
Thanks for the encouragement. I use a folding chair to sit because I can't stand for longer periods but primarily because putting weight on my front leg like I like to isn't feasible. I imagine life is very challenging for you so my issues are trivial.
spektr

Post by spektr »

If youre going to sit, also see if the target carrier can be lowered so you arent shooting at an inclined angle.... keeps lead on the range,
ScottEdvin

Post by ScottEdvin »

It is true that NRA accommodations for handicaps but it is good if you are physically fit to take part in this competition. You have to do more effort during shooting and should be mentally and physically fit.