Definition

Discussion of the adaptive needs of shooters.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Spencer, Thomas Monto

conradin

Definition

Post by conradin »

Sorry this sounds a little bit un-sensitive. Both my misses and I are on disability. Of course, not all disability is the same, and not all are visible.
Hers is more visible than mine. For example, we both need a walking cane just in case, but not all the time.

When it comes to disability, as far as competition is concerned, is there a rule book out there that define if you qualify in competition for disabled athletes? Does it has to be lose of limbs, lose of control of limbs including paraplegic, loss of one eye, loss of hearing, and something similar? How does the rule deal with "invisible illness" like severe fibromyalgia, lupus, and rheumatic arthritis which the sufferer occasionally will be perfectly healthy, but when flare up the sufferer will be totally unable to even move? I suffer from one of them.

For the record I have the usual blue handicap parking plate, and also the right to use para-transit service in my local area. Like a lot of handicap motorcyclists I rely on riding sidecar outfit and know how to ride trikes very well. I don't own a street motorcycle (ie. 2 wheels). I always request wheel chair service whenever I travel by air, even if on the day of travel I feel good and can walk perfectly fine.

I feel very embarrassed to even suggest I am disabled when compare with veterans who lose their limbs due to war, even though at the same time the only movement I could have on certain days will be my elbows. I could not even hold a pistol without dropping it.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Are you asking 'in general', or in relation to IPC, or NRA events?
Thomas Monto

Rules

Post by Thomas Monto »

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

conradin

Post by conradin »

Thank you. Looks like neither of us are eligible though she is almost eligible. The rules are designed for constant permanent disability or constant permanent semi-disability. So theoretically a person who is paralyzed five out of seven days but totally health on the weekend is not eligible.
The classification did teach me a lot of things that I do not know.
Janleex0

Post by Janleex0 »

Mike Tagliapietra (Colorado Springs, Colo.), Shaun Tichenor (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and Eric Trueblood (Colorado Springs, Colo.). Named to the National Paralympic Team is John Joss (Fort Michael, Ala.).