Dimension for taper crimp 38 HBWC cartridge.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

38HBWC

Dimension for taper crimp 38 HBWC cartridge.

Post by 38HBWC »

Gentleman:
Gil Hebarb sent me a C-H taper crimp die with the measurements for 38 wadcutters back in 1975. I can’t find the spec. sheet. Anybody know the measurement in inches so I can mike my loads? I am getting stove pipes in 2 of my M-52 mags and can bend the fingers once I know the correct diameter. Thanks, Bob
perazzi

Re: Dimension for taper crimp 38 HBWC cartridge.

Post by perazzi »

just wondering, why would you taper crimp a .38 spl which headspaces on the rim?
every match factory .38 I've ever seen had a roll crimp..

Just wondering.
38HBWC

Post by 38HBWC »

I have the sense that a taper crimped cartridge would have a uniform outside diameter, regardless of brass manufacturer. I used to shoot LC brass; was so thick walled. I’d see some loaded cartridges bulge slightly, so the TC die would give me assurance that they’d feed smoothly. I have in the past, used a roll crimp with success. I’m just operating with the assumption that the uniformity of tapered crimp would guarantee me uniform feed lip contact when cycling. There is ample resistance with the TC die upon the billet, as they don’t walk out on recoil.
Rover

Post by Rover »

NRA Reloaders Handbook states their testing found a roll crimp more accurate.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

38HBWC,

I have a copy of the Gil Hebard Guns spec. sheet that you are looking for. Send me a PM with a mailing address and one will be sent your way.

Can't wait that long? Then just make a print-out of the word for word information taken from it as seen below:

"OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR T-C DIE (FOR USE WITH HOLLYWOOD, PACIFIC, AND SIMILAR TOOLS.)

The T-C Die has been available in the past only for the Star tool. Now John E. Giles, the inventor, has designed a model to fit the Hollywood, Pacific, and similar loading tools.

It is suggested that the regular seating and crimping die you now have be used for seating only. Seat the die into the tool and adjust the bullet seating screw so as to seat to the proper depth but not to crimp. A few trials will enable you to do this easily. It should be mentioned that the case resizing die should size cases small enough to make a friction-tight fit on the bullet. This will maintain seating depth until the tapered swage-crimp can be applied. If the bullets are not friction-tight, pressure from the air trapped in the case may push the bullet back out of the case to some extent and give varying seating depths. (The T-C Die is not suitable for seating. It is a crimping die only.)

Using the T-C Die brings another operation to the reloading cycle, but an operation more than paid for by increased accuracy in your loads and greatly lengthened case life. It is also a very short operation.

The unique flat angle crimping of the T-C Die enables the use of cases of slightly varying lengths without impairing accuracy. T-C crimp loads will bring an accuracy not attained by the regular sharp curled crimp.

TAPER CRIMP-EXAGGERATED (Adjust your die so it crimps to these dimensions : )

Dimensions taken at extreme O.D. of case mouth."

The basic line drawings at the bottom of the sheet have these dimensions on them:

.45 ACP = .460 - .465

.38 SPL = .368 - .372

Hope this helps!
divingin

Post by divingin »

38HBWC wrote:I have the sense that a taper crimped cartridge would have a uniform outside diameter, regardless of brass manufacturer. I used to shoot LC brass; was so thick walled. I’d see some loaded cartridges bulge slightly, so the TC die would give me assurance that they’d feed smoothly.
The problem is that with an aggressive taper crimp, you run the risk of swaging the bullet down (moreso with the heavy-walled brass you referenced.)

You could measure the wall of the case you're using, double it, then add the bullet diameter. Subtract a thousandth or two and aim for that.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just to throw a wrench in the works...the NRA reloading handbook AND Ken Waters recommend a roll crimp for best accuracy.
Dcforman

Post by Dcforman »

Jerry Keefer recommended a .372 taper crimp for 148 HBWC, but that was for revolvers. Not sure what be used on 52's...

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Loading for a P240, similar to a M52 I would leave .005-.008" of lead exposed and use a
taper crimp die to reduce the outside caase diameter by .005" only.
These where not heavy loads so a heavy crimp was not required.
The little exposed lead helped the feeding.