2018 Georgia Regional Precision Outdoor Tournament April 6-8

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

H_T_Davis

2018 Georgia Regional Precision Outdoor Tournament April 6-8

Post by H_T_Davis »

2018 LT JOSEPH HELTON FOUNDATION
REGIONAL PRECISION PISTOL OUTDOOR TOURNAMENT

Dates: April 6 - International Events, April 7-8 – NRA Regional 2700

Time: Shooting begins at 8:00am unless otherwise noted

Events: Free Pistol, Standard Pistol, NRA Regional 2700, Distinguished Revolver, Service Pistol EIC, .22 Rimfire EIC, Air Pistol Challenge, Metallic Silhouette Challenge

Prizes: Include a Springfield Range Officer (or cash alternative), a $500 cash prize, a case of CCI Standard Velocity, one more major prize to be determined, Class Trophies, Category Certificates, Class Awards based on number of entrants, Challenge prize pools based on number of entrants

Food: All shooters will be provided lunch each day.

Please see the attached Match Bulletin and flyer for additional information. Feel free to contact Art Rozier (Match Director) at Art.Rozier@gmail.com / 770-855-6789 or Tom Davis at H_T_Davis@yahoo.com / 770-634-3284.

More information about the Lt Joseph Helton Memorial Foundation can be found at http://www.ltheltonfoundation.org.

More information about River Bend Gun Club can be found at http://www.rbgc.org.

Information regarding nearby hotels can be obtained by emailing Art or Tom.

*- Some early flyers show this match being held one week earlier and at South River Gun Club near Conyers, GA. The dates and location on these early flyers are no longer valid.
Last edited by H_T_Davis on Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H_T_Davis

March 1 News and Update

Post by H_T_Davis »

Hi All!

Here's an update on developments for the Georgia Regional.

Participation: We're getting a great response. We can name 37 folks who have told us that they are coming, and there are half a dozen more folks who we expect to come, and a couple we hope come but don't know how to contact. Of course, you never know until the day of the match, but we're very enthusiastic that we'll be offering the biggest Regional that Georgia has seen in quite a while.

Prizes: When I posted the announcements on TargetTalk and Bullseye-L, I was able to commit to all of the prizes except one. I still can't absolutely guarantee the prize for the Service Pistol pool, but it looks like its going to be a 1/2 case of Atlanta Arms Elite 185g JHP .45acp ammo. If it isn't that exactly, it will be equivalent. Just as a reminder, the other prizes include a Range Officer to the 2700 winner (if in the 2700 Prize Pool) and drawings for $500 cash (2700 Prize Pool) and a case of CCI SV .22 ammo (.22 EIC Prize Pool). All Prize Pools will offer a cash alternative. There will also be awards to the Class and Category winners, as well as cash awards by match and class, based on class size.

Herschel Anderson! (this is big!): Herschel Anderson - he of 7 Pam Am Games Gold Medals, 2-time Olympian, holder of the record for highest 2700 ever shot in a Registered Match and ONLY member of the 2680 club - is going to come down from the Tennessee mountains and fire the Opening Shot ceremony for us!

Team Match: Response has been so good that there is almost no chance of there being only one relay. It's a nice problem to have, but we were really proud of the (incredibly complicated) Team Match that we created. So, due to enthusiasm for the event from folks to whom we've spoken, we are going to do our best to offer it as a .22 event (1 NMC by each team member). We're still working on it, but take a look over the rules, give it to your accountant/attorney for deciphering, then fire away with your questions.

Ammo Fund-Raiser: We will be selling CCI Standard Velocity .22 ammo (paper box) at the match as a fund-raiser for Junior Shooting programs. We will selling it for $3.50 per box - I know, I know - that is about what you normally pay for it, BUT, we don't charge sales tax, and no shipping is involved AND each box bought from us for $3.50 will generate approximately 90 cents in contributions! We'll have several cases of 50 count paper box and about 1 1/2 cases of the 100 count plastic boxes ($8.00 per box). If you are going to be buying CCI SV anyway, help us out and buy a bit from us. If you'd like me to set some aside for you, let me know. For the time being, let's limit each shooter to 1 brick so that everyone can get in on the giving. If it turns out that we're able to, we'll open it up to larger lots at the match itself.

Pre-Registration: It would really help us out with planning (things like squadding, shooter sticker printing, food provisioning and a SECRET REASON I CAN'T TELL YOU) if you would consider pre-registering. Yes, if you tell us you are coming, we believe you and are holding you a slot. HOWEVER, pre-registering will GREATLY enhance your chances of getting the relay choice you'd like. Also, folks who pre-register will get a SLIGHTLY nicer shooter package than those who don't. Everyone will get the same stuff, but those who pre-register will have some of it personalized AND will not have to fill out Name/Class/FiringPoint/Match on all those @#%! scorecards.

Categories: We inadvertantly neglected to include Veteran as a Shooter Category. If you're a Vet and would like to be considered in this category, just write it in on your entry form. I updated the Match Program in the original posting to include a revised entry form, but if you already downloaded the previous one, you're fine. For what it's worth, I also updated the Flyer, demonstrating our recently acquired mastery of the spelling of both "Metallic" and "Silhouette."

Practice: We will open the range for practice on Thursday, April 5 from 1:00 - 4:00.

We're really looking forward to seeing all of you and having an incredible weekend of shooting. See you in a few weeks.

Regards,
Tom Davis
H_T_Davis

Re: 2018 Georgia Regional Precision Outdoor Tournament April

Post by H_T_Davis »

Hi All!

The match is less than two weeks away, so this will be the last update, barring some unforeseen event.

There are currently 50 shooters on the line. There are 56 firing points between the 2 relays, so it looks like we are near capacity. If you are planning on shooting with us, and you haven’t let Art or me know, please check in with us ASAP so we can get you on the line. If you have told Art or me that you are coming (or better yet, sent in a registration form) then you have a slot with your name on it. If you know someone who is planning on just showing up, that is fine, but priority will go to folks who have sent in their forms and paid, folks who have sent in their forms, folks who have told us they are coming, folks from out of town, THEN walk-ups.

Squadding priority will be in a similar order, though we will try to accommodate everyone that we can. If you haven’t sent in your forms and paid already, you can still let me know what your relay preference is via email (H_T_Davis@yahoo.com). I will try to get you what you want, but I doubt I can give all 50 folks their preference. Because folks who send in their fees prior to the match get their relay choice, firing points for shooters who don't pre-pay will not be finalized until Registration on the Saturday of the match. Unless you have already paid and KNOW that you are squadded on the 2nd relay, please show up for the Registration Period (7:30 on Friday, 7:00 on Saturday), as there are only a couple of available slots to infiltrate if you miss your assigned relay.

Bring PLENTY of .22 ammo with you. Between the .22 900, the .22 EIC match, the Team Match, the Silhouette Challenge match and the Silhouette Duels, you’ll go through quite a bit. As I said last update, we will be selling CCI SV as a fundraiser, and everyone should be able to buy at least a brick, as an alternative to bringing so much .22 ammo.

Besides the 50 shooters in the 2700, we’ve had a number of inquiries from shooters who want to come in for just the EIC match(es). It looks like we’re going to have A LOT of EIC shooters, so IF you are going to be shooting with us on Friday, please consider shooting one or more of the EICs (or DR) then.

Remember, we’re feeding you lunch each day that you shoot with us, but these are full days of shooting. Eat a good breakfast on the way each day and you’ll be fine. We'll have water and snacks to tide you over between meals.

Lastly, if you send in your forms and fees too close to April 6, they might not make it here in time. If it happens that you mail them, but they haven’t arrived by the start of the match, we will ask you to fill out another registration form and pay the fees at registration. When your mailed in form and fees arrive, we will notify you and destroy them for you.

See you in a few days,
Tom Davis
H_T_Davis

RESULTS!

Post by H_T_Davis »

Hi everyone. All results are in, checked, and submitted. Without further ado…

Regional 2700 - Adam Sokolowski edged Lawrence Cleveland (both of the AMU) to take the championship 2662-135x to 2660-141x. Greg Markowski (also of the AMU) came in third with a score of 2650-149x.

Service Pistol EIC – Greg Markowski won overall with a 292-10x. Jason Gregoire shot the highest among those not already Distinguished with a 266-7x. There were 34 competitors overall, with 16 eligible for legs. Subject to certification by the CMP, we expect two legs to be awarded.

.22 Rimfire Pistol EIC – Greg Markowski (who is apparently familiar with pistol shooting) again took the top spot overall with a 291-9x. Tim Barber took the top spot among those not already Distinguished, with a score of 280-4x. There were 44 competitors overall, with 41 eligible for legs. Subject to certification by the CMP, we expect 4 legs to be awarded.

Distinguished Revolver – In a stunning turn of events, Greg Markowski shot the high score overall with a 285-8x. Jason Gregoire shot the highest score among those not already Distinguished with a 279-7x (who would have thought that the Black Powder Pistol National Champion would be good with Smokeless Powder too?). There were 21 competitors, 20 of whom were not already Distinguished. Subject to certification by the NRA, we expect 2 legs to be awarded.

Free Pistol – James Hall took top honors in Free Pistol with a 537-7x. Jason Gregoire, in his first Free Pistol match, took second with a 533-0x.

Standard Pistol – Ok, this is our fault. Jason Gregoire wasn’t even signed up for this event because he wasn’t sure how it went. We explained the course of fire to him and convinced him to shoot it….Naturally, he won, shooting a 557-0x, with James Hall coming in second firing a 543-8x.

Metallic Silhouette Challenge – First it was Markowski, now it’s Gregoire. Jason hunkered down and knocked all 10 targets down in a blazing 4.17 seconds. Having set the bar, he never took another run at it and his score held up all weekend. Phillip Peters had the only other sub-6 second time with 10 down in 5.33 seconds.

Quick Draw – Stephen Price dominated this event with a time from buzzer to scoring shot of 0.92 seconds. No one else was within 5/1000ths of a second. Phillip Peters and Jason Gregoire tied for second place with a sluggish 0.93 seconds.

Air Pistol Centershot Challenge – If there is one event that made us smile, it was the Finals for the Air Pistol Centershot Challenge. The field consisted of Dan Norwood (All Guard), Russ Gill (Grand Senior Veteran), Bruce Meredith (Grand Senior Police), Marcella Price (Woman), and James Hall (World-class Air Pistol shooter and Algernop Kreiger doppleganger). Talk about diversity! James won the Finals with a 10.5, with Marcella close on his heels firing a 10.0.

The Team Match – There were two categories for the Team Match. The highest scoring team consisting solely of shooters firing their .22 EIC match consisted of John Patton and Neil Roberts (586-11x). The highest scoring team consisting of at least one shooter not firing their .22 EIC match consisted of the Kevins Bonderer and Pritchett (642-8x). Team Priceski (Greg Markowski and Marcella Price) gets Honorable Mention for having the best Team Name AND receiving the most Bonus Points – 11).

Thank you all so much for coming and shooting with us. You made the event the success that it was. In the end, we will have awarded over $3200 in prizes and raised over $2200 for the organizations we support, like the Helton Foundation and junior shooting programs. We couldn’t be prouder. Thanks again.

Tom and Art
Last edited by H_T_Davis on Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
H_T_Davis

RESULTS! Part Deux

Post by H_T_Davis »

More Files!
Last edited by H_T_Davis on Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurt

Post by hurt »

LMASO!!! A well written match report is a thing if beauty!!! Love it!!! Keep up the good work...please!
hurt

Post by hurt »

Maybe that is LMAO! The scotch is adding extra syllabyles! Lol
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, only I am allowed drunken babble on this site.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Rover, some of your more "memorable" drunken posts required a translator, just to rise to the linguistic clarity of "Babble . . . . "