Anyone using Armscor Std Vel 22 ammo?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jblphoto

Anyone using Armscor Std Vel 22 ammo?

Post by jblphoto »

I’m running a 4H Bullseye club and I’m looking at the Armscor Std Vel 22 ammo @ 1135fps in Ruger Mk3 target pistols. At $215 a case wholesale (I have my FFL) that’s a hard price to beat. So, does anyone have experience in the Ruger’s. Are they reliable and what kind of accuracy can I expect? Remembering that all my kids so far are all Marksmen. Ten-X isn’t needed, they need cheap trigger time. But if they won’t function at @ 1135fps or there plagued with misfires then they do me no good. Also it’s only available in case lots so I can’t get some to try.

John LaBusier
Nashville ILL
machinist mike

Re: Anyone using Armscor Std Vel 22 ammo?

Post by machinist mike »

I don't know about the armscor SV ammo, but target sports has the Aquila 22 SV for around 225/case delivered. You can also buy just a brick to try out, but you have to pay shipping on less than case lots. this is the same ammo that the CMP used to sell.

Mike
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

In the last 6 months I have used a lot of Armscor SV. The plus is that it is just as accurate as any other SV that is used for Bullseye including CCI SV. The bad thing is that I feel that it doesn't like to be shot in the cold. At a match that was shot in around 20 degrees, I had an alibi and consequently started putting it in my pocket which seemed to fix the problem. I even had a FTF and supposed it was due to the cold because it was the only one I had ever had out of a bit more than 5000 bullets. There was someone that was shooting CCI SV that also had a FTF which rather surprised me. Both misfires were in Smith 41's. Sometimes when cold my Armscor would sound a little weak but I didn't notice that with my friends CCI. After putting the ammo in my pocket all issues were gone. I think I have seen this ammo recently for $189 a case and so was the Aguila. Look on ammoseek.com and ammograb.com to see if you can come up with a better deal. It might just work to google each of these ammos and see what comes up. I think it was outdoor limited that had the good price but don't really remember for sure.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

jblphoto wrote:... I’m looking at the Armscor Std Vel 22 ammo @ 1135fps in Ruger Mk3 target pistols.
Armscor .22 rf for the US market is manufactured in the US. (Arnscor probably also manufacture .22 rf ammo for some other brands, under contracts, sometimes).
My experiences with Armscor ammo, in different cf calibers, and .22 rf are ok, on par with standard ammo from other manufacturers. The Vo claimed, 1125 f/s, is from a 50 cm (20 ") barrel, I think.

http://armscor.com/ammo/rimfire/
jackh

Post by jackh »

Armscor is not even up to practice level. It shoots, that's about all.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I need to update this because the misfires I had with Armscor was not due to the poor quality of the ammo but because the part that holds the firing pin in my model 41 was edging forward either because of wear on the pin that holds it in or the hole that the pin goes into. After replacing those parts I have had no other misfires.

I do feel like the bang is a little more than the CCI and even more than the old Aguila SV ( I haven't shot any of the recent stuff) but some years ago I shot Aguila SV and CCI over a Chronograph and was surprised when I found the Aguila was faster even though the CCI seemed louder and with more kick. I would assume that the difference is due to being filled with fast powder in one and slow in the other. Slow powder always gives the feeling of less kick even if they are the same velocity.

I think this is the reason some people years ago had trouble with Aguila SV making their guns alibi even though the slower CCI would make them work fine. If the modern Aguila still feels like less recoil and will function in your gun, I would like it better than Armscor but not for any other reason. Accuracy between these three rounds is so similar that it would depend on which gun we were talking about as to which shoots the best. I am going to see if I can get just one box of Aguila SV to see if it is the same as it used to be and that will make my decision as to which I will prefer. I am just about to finish my second case of the Armscor and will buy another if the Aguila seems to kick as much. I won't pay the extra cash for the CCI because the recoil though a bit lighter is not worth the extra $50.
Misny

Post by Misny »

jackh wrote:Armscor is not even up to practice level. It shoots, that's about all.
Jack, can you expand upon this? It is always a temptation to buy the cheapest ammo, even after spending a couple of grand or more on a pistol. That one thing about bullseye pistol shooters hasn't changed over the years.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I recently bought some Aguila and tested it and the CCI with the Armscor for velocity. It was in a 7 inch model 41.

Armscpor 1085
Aguila 1065
CCI standare 1004

The only reason I would buy the Aguila over the Armscor is if it were cheaper. It is boxed better than the armscor but that is minor. I would pick either however Armascor proved to work fine in cold weather last year and I haven't proven the new Aguila yet and years ago it had to have oil added to it in the winter to be reliable. The newer stuff does not seem to be the same because it seems to have more recoil. Aguila used to be the mildest ammo you could get.