Steyr mgazine

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jack1

Steyr mgazine

Post by jack1 »

Hi
I have just bought a Steyr LP50 now that the UK Government has agreed that it is self indexing and not self loading and it seems so obvious for there to be a 6 'round' magazine. I cannot find any mention in Britain or Europe. Has this been thought of or made on your side of the 'pond'. Plate shooting is just one application I can think of. Mention it to Steyr and it is heresy!
Jack
Skyline12

Re: Steyr mgazine

Post by Skyline12 »

jack1 wrote:Hi
I have just bought a Steyr LP50 now that the UK Government has agreed that it is self indexing and not self loading and it seems so obvious for there (advertising link removed) to be a 6 'round' magazine. I cannot find any mention in Britain or Europe. Has this been thought of or made on your side of the 'pond'. Plate shooting is just one application I can think of. Mention it to Steyr and it is heresy!
Jack
Dommage pour vous alors
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Skyline12 wrote:
jack1 wrote:Hi
I have just bought a Steyr LP50 now that the UK Government has agreed that it is self indexing and not self loading and it seems so obvious for there (advertising link removed) to be a 6 'round' magazine. I cannot find any mention in Britain or Europe. Has this been thought of or made on your side of the 'pond'. Plate shooting is just one application I can think of. Mention it to Steyr and it is heresy!
Jack
Dommage pour vous alors
You find it necessary do you to be insulting in French? As Oscar Wilde said of Great Britain and the USA "two nations divided by a common language"? You however have to write a quote in French. Speaks volumes or just for you "parle des volumes"
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Nobody has even STARTED to insult you, Jack1, but it might be tempting...

1. What does the configuration of a multiple-shot air pistol have to do with Paris airport transfers, pray?

2. If you mention Paris without recognizable reason, answering you in Parisian is NOT an insult, but befitting.

3. ISSF only shoots five-shot series. What would one need a 6-shot magazine for, then ?

Alexander
jack1

Post by jack1 »

If you think it "might be tempting" to insult me then please go away and haunt someone else and this forum is not for me and I will not make obvious comments on the differences between those of us on either side of the Atlantic. As we would say 'over here' "go forth and multiply"
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Sorry folks. It took me ages to spot what was going on here.

Skyline12 quoted jack1's post but inserted an advertising link in the middle of it. This is a trick used by the less reputable SEO companies to try and boost a web page's ranking with search engines. Every time that post was quoted it increased the number of links back to the web page.

The links have been removed, as has Skyline12.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Alexander wrote:Nobody has even STARTED to insult you, Jack1, but it might be tempting...

1. What does the configuration of a multiple-shot air pistol have to do with Paris airport transfers, pray?

2. If you mention Paris without recognizable reason, answering you in Parisian is NOT an insult, but befitting.

3. ISSF only shoots five-shot series. What would one need a 6-shot magazine for, then ?

Alexander
We both missed it Alexander: jack1 didn't mention Paris Airport in his original post.

That was added by Skyline12, presumably to get back-links in an SEO exercise.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Indeed, David, I was astray. I thought that the _quoted_ content was the original one, and that the older posting above it, had lateron been edited. That is a very common occurence on the 'Net in all web-based fora. Quotes frequently still document a fossilised older version, while the writer has already edited his post lateron.

That clarified - thank you for the explanatory help -, only one question remains. Why would a pistol designed and designated for ISSF and ISSF-based competitions (such as the UK and now also German 10 metres air versions of 25 metres pistol and standard pistol, with their 5-shot series), be expected to have an alternative magazine of 5+1 ? It seems little useful...

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1

Post by jack1 »

The idea of a sixth round is for plate and other more action shooting. Plus for example practice for the Bianchi plate match.
And that is what started my initial enquiry, Wish I hadn't bothered
rmca

Post by rmca »

Jack1

The difficulty in making a six shot magazine is in the pistol main body design.
It is the right side of the magazine well that holds the pellets in place, as the magazine itself, is just a strip with five holes on it and a few indexing dents.
So, since the pistol was designed for ISSF style shooting, and that requires that the pistol fits in a box that´s 5cm wide, I suspect that in there lies the limitation.
If the magazine well is larger, to allow the sixth pellet, it would probably fail the dimensions required for the disciplines it was design for.

I´m not saying it can´t be done. But for the reasons above I wouldn't hold my breath...

Hope this helps
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Hi and many thanks for your reply.
I understand such a magazine would not conform to ISSF regulations but would not matter as the pistol could be used for more (interesting) action disciplines for example as I suggested Bianchi plate shooting. 6 plates shot in 5 seconds and other similar shoots.
Then, when required with 5 rounds we go back to ISSF
Thanks again
Jack
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I would be concerned whether the spring and the spring housing are long enough to handle a longer magazine.
rmca

Post by rmca »

David Levene wrote:I would be concerned whether the spring and the spring housing are long enough to handle a longer magazine.
And that too...
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Worth investigation perhaps making one on a CNC machine
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

It sounds to me like Jack needs to find a group that shoots six shots with a LP50 and see if anyone can put together a six shot magazine for a gun designed to shoot a five shot magazine. No doubt some creative and inventive person(s) can make that happen, but I doubt that person will be found on this forum. Best of luck!
jack1

Post by jack1 »

On the job already but maybe a touch progressive for some
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I agree that the extension of an existing magazine from 5 to 6 shots, via a new CNC production part or maybe via a 3-D-printer, is "creative". It creates something new that did not exist before, at least not in the class of high-quality precise match air pistols.
Is it also "progressive"? Well, yes, maybe inasmuch as one regards a capacity extension by 20 % also as a progress by 20 %.

I can understand that the (few, or today maybe only one) producer[s] of match air pistols so far might not be very interested. The price of the basic gun is possibly prohibitive for fun and leisure shooting, and the overlap between ISSF style air pistol shooters and falling plates shooters so far seems to have been small.

But it certainly might be worth a try.

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1

Post by jack1 »

The fun and leisure part for me is competition and plinking is for lower priced guns. In the UK there are various disciplines that could be shot using a 6 round Steyr LP50. Plus the addition of red dot sights and competition grips.

Remember, here we have a whole different set of rules.