walther ssp .22 pistol jamming

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

gfrad

Post by gfrad »

serial # wsp01576 my walther ssp.22 is jamming almost with every cartiridge fired ,as it ejects it catches the fired shell in the chamber preventing a fresh load from loading does anyone have fix for problem
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

What sort of ammunition are you using?

Is this a new pistol or have you put several thousand rounds through it?

Have you tried cleaning the chamber?
Gort

Post by Gort »

http://www.carl-walther.de/files/pdf/SS ... 764164.pdf

Check page eleven in the above link for magazine loading technique.

Gort
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Make sure the firing pin is not hitting the back of the chamber and deforming it so a fired case won't come out easily. This would go for every gun having this problem.
gfrad

ssp .22 jamming

Post by gfrad »

the ammo that was used was lapua (sk) standard plus and geico rifle red boxes both had same issues in emty shell being caught in chamber after fire and jamming the gun has had less than 500 rounds through it
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The SK standard usually runs through anything as long as it isn't a gun that is set up for high velocity. Do you have any friends with a magazine you could try to make sure this isn't it because that is usually the trickiest part because with nothing to compare it to makes it very difficult to decide if it is the problem. You might try a box of CCI standard velocity because even though the round isn't faster than the SK, it is a sharper recoil and sometimes that fixes the problem. -- Bill --
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Hi,
I shoot Lapua Standard plus from SSP without any problems. Several things come in my mind:
1. Do you have the magazine loaded correctly (double stack)?
2. Do you have the recoil-dampening system clean? This is the rod with the blue O-ring on it (old model) or just a metal rod (new model). Also the orifice in the nozzle must be clean. The 0.6mm orifice works well with Lapua Standard plus, so no need to using the 1mm - that would cause less recoil dampening. Clean it and lube it with the supplied lube.
3. Do you have the chamber clean (does the cartridge slide into the chamber smoothly)?
4. The ejector is a part of the magazine, isn't the top of the magazine somehow damaged?
5. How often do you clean your SSP. It needs cleaning approx. every 500 rounds.

Hope it helps.
gfrad

Post by gfrad »

the gun is clean we took it apart a few times and cleaned it and put it back together again less than 1000 rounds have gone through it because of jamming problems we are having with it ,we tried 2 different magazines,the bullet goes into barrel smoothly after firing it looks like it gets stuck in chamber as other shell loads underneath it ,could the problem be with recoil springs the magazines look like they are ok
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

If different magazines didn't work either, I doubt that is the problem. I think that it isn't pulling the empty out far enough and that is causing the jam. I would take the ammo that has worked the best for you, if there is such a thing, and drop two drops of oil of any kind on one box of 50 and rub it around in your hands until all oil is evenly distributed. If this helps or cures your problem, there is something in your chamber or it is too tight. If this is the situatiion find a gunsmith that has the tools to clean it out or enlarge it slightly. This was commonly done on Smith 41's in the AMU group but I have no idea if this is ever done on your type of pistol and you should check with a gunsmith that has experience with them. If the oil works well enough to make it OK, then don't worry about it and oil the bullets. In the winter I have to oil the bullets for my Benelli and in the summer it will shoot any kind of ammo. -- Bill --
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Hmm, this is strange. Just to be sure about the magazine loading, I've made photos of the correct way. Just check that the magazine looks exactly like this (front-back-front-back cartridge position with the first round bullet aiming upward).
And one (maybe stupid) note. Do you have the correct setting of the springs in the front of the pistol? Didn't you change them by accident when cleaning? The blue one goes on the sear rod and the other one on the recoil-dampening rod. You can also try putting the larger-orifice nozzle on the recoil-dampening rod hole. I don't think it should solve the problem (as SK Standard shoot well with the smaller one) but if it does, there may be some problem with the dampening system (friction or whatever). Do you have the old model with the blue O-ring or the newer one with just the metal plate on the rod?
Attachments
IMG_7321.JPG
IMG_7322.JPG
gfrad

Post by gfrad »

I have the old one with blue orings ,i do load magazine as shown
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

OK, you can try one thing. Remove the blue O-ring from the dampening rod. You'll get a little more recoil but if it helps the jamming, you'll have the cause. However, I had that rod as well and it worked fine. I then exchanged it for the newer one as this one was a bit bended (I bought a second-hand SSP). If it gets somehow stuck, it can cause the jamming, also don't forget to lube it. Let's see if that helps.
Crete

Post by Crete »

<< oldcaster said: [QUOTE] "Make sure the firing pin is not hitting the back of the chamber and deforming it so a fired case won't come out easily. This would go for every gun having this problem.

Could you please elaborate on this point?

Is it possible that the firing pin doesn't reach far enough and causes Failure To Fire and Failure To Eject (FTF/FTEs), because the bbl is not properly positioned during assembly?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

This was a constant problem years ago. It was especially prominent in High Standards and there is a tool that can force the chamber back into the shape it should be if the firing pin has deformed it by constantly hitting it from the back and making the material on the edge of the chamber deform into the chamber. I don't know if the firing pins were too long from the factory, or if pins broke and then were replaced with ones that were too long and were supposed to be hand fitted. This is where the idea that a rimfire pistol should not be dry fired came from. When I shot in AMU in the 60's all of us had High Standard 103's (I think)and we dry fired sometimes our entire day of practice but we had smiths that took care of everything including cleaning the guns and no one ever broke a firing pin or deformed the chamber. Many years later I bought a Hamden Trophy used and it had the deformed chamber so I have no idea if it was that way new or if someone got their hands on it and did bad smithing on it. This being said, I am not familar enough with the gun in question on this post to know if it is possible for this to happen but on most guns it can. -- Bill --
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Well, I do dry fire with a plastic dry-firing plug, so I can't really say if this can happen on an SSP, however, I suppose that if this is an almost new gun, a deformed chamber is probably not the problem we are looking for. Gfrad also said that the cartridge goes smoothly into the chamber.
I have one more question. Where exactly does the shell get stuck? Does it stay in the chamber or is it stuck in the "ejection window" between the slide and the frame? If it stays really in the chamber, I would suggest looking at the extractor. When you load a round into the chamber and than eject it manually by retracting the slide, does it go out smoothly and every time?
gfrad

Post by gfrad »

empty shell stays in ejection window" between the slide and the frame,could the problem be caused by the 2 recoil springs
Gort

Post by Gort »

gfrad, There is one recoil spring and the other is a firing striker (pin) spring.
Gort
gfrad

Post by gfrad »

sorry correct the other is striker spring,could the recoil spring be cause of jamming problem
gfrad

Post by gfrad »

Could this be the cause of problems:

If the first-stage travel is too short (thus to direct
adjustment) you will risk doppler or the weapon
does not tighten anymore after the shot, that
also can look like a malfunction of supply feeding
failure as the edge of the round gets stuck
on the spike of the striker.
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Well, not sure if I understood well but I suppose that this is not the problem. Setting of the trigger (as far as I know) does not affect what the gun does after it fires. Once the striker is released and the shot is fired the trigger setting has no influence on what happens. The striker can't be that much stuck into the shell that it would not release when the shell hits the ejector.
Basically, after the shot is fired, the slide goes back and presses against the recoil spring. Presuming that the cartridges are strong enough (which they are) the only problem why the cartridge would not eject is the spring and the recoil-dampening system (or some undesirable friction between the slide and the frame). Or at least I think so. Did you try to remove the blue O-ring? And do you have the correct spring there (the other than the blue one)? Also try the nozzle with the larger orifice or try to remove the nozzle at all (just to see if it helps, not for good). I wonder where the problem is but I still think that it is some "stupid" mistake rather than some serious problem.