Horton Grips question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Dipnet

Horton Grips question

Post by Dipnet »

I just bought a new Horton Grip from my Pardini SPBE and it is a beautiful grip, but I had to modify it to make it BE legal. Anybody else have the same issue? dipnet
messenger

Re: Horton Grips question

Post by messenger »

What made it illegal?
william

Post by william »

Why are you in this forum? Are you trying to sell the grip? The pistol?
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Horton takes a xerox of your hand and makes a grip that fits pretty darn well, but not perfectly in my case and more than trivial modifications were needed.

Where my palm rested on grip's base was off, causing the grip to cant upwards about a 30 degrees when extending shooting arm, the grip supported my wrist (verboten), and the upsweep on the grip's right side was well over the 1 inch allowed by NRA rules. Looked nice but not legal for be.

I wish I had taken many images showing these features. I was more focused on thinking the changes through and anticipating the seductive hum of the Dremel. I mentioned to Dick that corrections were needed, but realized that the only way to fix problems was to make them myself (with Dremel, coping saw, and sand paper); otherwise, it'd take more time and a small postage fortune.

In image below: the black line (#1) represents the approximate original inside grip contour showing my hand rested; yellow line #2 lowered and re-contoured grip base to allow proper orientation of extended shooting arm; yellow line #3 was the first cut off the rear to correct the grip extending behind wrist; line #4 was the second cut taking off a little more material. Now the wrist is not supported in any way and the upswept part on the right is less than 1-inch high (0.7) as stated in NRA rules.

Grip turned out great but about 3 hours of careful material removal, testing, and re-modifying, sanding and refinishing for the grip modification. I had to re-stipple parts of the grip but this is easy and sort of fun.
Attachments
Horton grip_modifications_sm.jpg
Last edited by Dipnet on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

He’s asking because you’ve (maybe accidently) posted in the “buy sell trade” section of the board.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Rats, foiled again.

Administrator help! Move to Bullseye page...