TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 pm 

Dipnet wrote:
been doing BE for ~7 years and now shoot better one handed than with two, especially with iron sights. cheers, dipnet

This happens all the time to newbies that come out for practice sessions and are afraid to not shoot one handed. We let them do it and after several weeks, someone will start to coach them with one hand and they are always astounded as to how well they can do it. Coaching means a lot in all kinds of disciplines but especially in Bullseye because it isn't possible to shoot accurately the way people think would be the best way.

I have taken people out and let them shoot bench rested groups and they typically put the dot where they want and then try to squeeze the trigger. After several tries, I tell them to instead, watch their dot and shoot a group. After this I have them watch the target for another group and then compare. The second two ways are always better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 am 

The route I took was to buy a match capable .22 and work with that till I am ready to bother with center fire (I am still on the .22)
I bought a perfect Hi Standard Citation- boxed Hamden gun with the long barrel and two magazines for $700.

Every once in a while I drag a police style center fire out to the line to try a string.
I use my H&K USP- hardly worth bothering...
I will be listing a 208 and a 215 on the classifieds here- they will be listed in a few weeks time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am 

I think your High Standard is a very good gun to start with and also finish with. In the old days they were made right. I would suggest that if your gun is very reliable at this time to measure how far apart the lips and whatever else you can measure are and write it down so it could be readjusted if dropped or if the gun starts to alibi. This and the tiny spring that returns the slide holder can get lost if you take the grips off. Otherwise just shoot it and enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am 

I agree- that Citation is a beautiful gun which shoots as well as it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am 

Focusing on the OPs original question, the 32 S&W long is the most popular 32 used in Bullseye, the 32 ACP is offered only by Pardini (I believe?). The S&W long is a full wadcutter, and I am unaware of any commercial jacketed ammunition (?). As Chris mentioned, Lapua and Fiocchi are readily available, both in lead HBWC. There are some other brands, but accuracy is suspect. The guns used for this cartridge (HBWC) seem limited to a few European "Olympic" pistols, e.g. the Walther, Pardini, Benelli, and Matchgun. All excellent target guns, and all available in 22lr as well.

Reloading the 32 long can be challenging, emphasis on particular components is mandatory and there is an initial investment required, but once mastered the resulting cartridges are very accurate and reasonable in cost. Keep in mind, the bigger challenge in reloading is for 50 yards, 25 is much easier.

I am 69 and starting to experience the joy of old age, in particular arthritis in my wrists. The light recoil of the 32 makes shooting a couple hundred rounds enjoyable.