Dot Sight Technique

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

Dot Sight Technique

Post by mr alexander »

When shooting a pistol equipped with iron sights, one is taught to maintain their focus on the front sight. And that's exactly what I did when starting Bullseye in 1978. After switching to an Ultradot in 2001, it just made sense to again maintain focus on the "front sight", which in this case, would be the dot itself. I considered this to be an ingrained practice/habit that had been utilized over the previous twenty three years.

In an earlier thread, it was stated that some shooters focus on the dot while others focus on the target. Everyone needs to do whatever works for them. With that said, what are the advantages and disadvantages to these two methods when shooting with a red dot sight? Thank you.
jaxontarget

Re: Dot Sight Technique

Post by jaxontarget »

mr alexander wrote:When shooting a pistol equipped with iron sights, one is taught to maintain their focus on the front sight. And that's exactly what I did when starting Bullseye in 1978. After switching to an Ultradot in 2001, it just made sense to again maintain focus on the "front sight", which in this case, would be the dot itself. I considered this to be an ingrained practice/habit that had been utilized over the previous twenty three years.

In an earlier thread, it was stated that some shooters focus on the dot while others focus on the target. Everyone needs to do whatever works for them. With that said, what are the advantages and disadvantages to these two methods when shooting with a red dot sight? Thank you.
Good question - I will be interested to hear the responses. I tend to put my focus on the target and not the dot.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I also focus on the target (thanks, Brian Zin). The target is holding still; the dot could be anywhere. The shot will go where the eye is looking.

But, I look at the front sight when using iron sights. It ain't so tough.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

This:
Rover wrote:The shot will go where the eye is looking.
But one thing to understand about red dots, they aren't actually sights, they are projections on a window that sits optically somewhere past the gun yet not all the way to the target. So focusing on the dot itself is a little bit of an optical illusion. If it works for you, then by all means do it. But don't be afraid to focus on the target and let the dot float in front of it. I get my best results when I do that, personally.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Red Dots are designed for focus at the target face.

If you wear corrective lenses, use the ones that focus at Infinity. The Red Dot will appear sharp, providing you have a quality Red Dot.

Should you wear lenses corrected for the "Front Sight", the Red Dot will now look like a fire ball.

Cheers,

Dave
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

To my eyes, the red dot is not focused at infinity. All my dots (Ultra-Dots and Aimpoint Micros) are focused somewhere around 15-20 yards. If I focus on the dot, then shift to the target I can feel my eyes re-focus.

I changed to focusing on the target after a Zins-Moody clinic and feel it works better for me. Focusing on a stationary object (the target) helps by body feel and balance when trying to stand and hold as still as possible. Focusing on the moving dot feels more unsteady.

I also find that by focusing on the target helps me pull the trigger. Following the dot as it bobs around encourages chicken finger and interrupting the trigger. By focusing on the target, when the dot to come into my area of focus, I pull the trigger.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Red Dots are designed for focus at the target face.

If you wear corrective lenses, use the ones that focus at Infinity. The Red Dot will appear sharp, providing you have a quality Red Dot.

Should you wear lenses corrected for the "Front Sight", the Red Dot will now look like a fire ball.

Cheers,

Dave
I started using a Dot last year and called Aimpoint right away. They said focus on the target, that is how they are designed. It has been a struggle and still is. I do notice that If focus on the dot vs the target my zero changes... or i'm focusing somewhere in between the target and dot and loosing zeros.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I focus on the dot. Too many years and repetitions of focusing on the front sight. I do realize that goes counter to conventional wisdom.

We had a 50' .22 900 today. For sh*ts and giggles I wore my distance prescription glasses and focused on the target. I had an 883-40x. I thought the black seemed bigger but the dot moved more. I still have to squeeze the trigger.

I'm not convinced that it matters much either way as long as you pick one and stick with it.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I agree with others. You can do either. The important thing is not to shift your focus once you have picked one.

That said, it is much easier to focus on the dot if you can blur out the target with it. So big and bright is better for the new shooter. Smaller and dimmer is better if you are going to focus on the target.

I have shot some of my better rapid fire targets when the dot was whizzing around like a little firefly but I just kept my wrist stiff and worked the trigger.

Also be prepared to be flexible if conditions change. There have been times at Perry in a heavy rain, when the only thingI could see was the dot. That's when I found out how far smooth quick triggering will take you. :-)