TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 pm 

I've been considering the purchase of a SP .22/.32 Bullseye combo. One of the main issues as you guys know is mounting rings for a red dot especially on the .32acp since the rings are known to slip. I was checking on options today, I spoke with both Larry's and BME, both said they no longer make scope mounts for the Pardini. Larry suggested I call PardiniUSA as they might offer rails.

So I spoke with Vladimir at PardiniUSA. He said they were about to release an updated SP for Bullseye use with an integrated picatinny rail in the barrel shroud. It wasn't clear how far back the rail would extend however he did mention possibly having to use 2 scope rings on the front half of the red dot so sounds like it wouldn't extend as far as the old Larry's rail. He mentioned this would get the dot lower than if using a rail adapter. My only concern without seeing more info is possible balance issues if it requires the dot to be mounted too far forward, some of this could be offset by removing some of the 6 counterweights. On the plus side this will allow using a dot for each caliber so you won't have to juggle adjustments as much, just your standard 25 to 50 yard adjustments. Plus you won't have to buy an additional $200 worth of rails and possibly have to have a brand new gun drilled & tapped.

Vladimir did seem a bit defensive though. When I mentioned scope rings slipping he blamed it on people using the wrong scope rings (not Pardini rings) however I swear I've heard of issues using their rings as well. I also asked him if there had been any adjustment in the slightly oversized bore on their .32acp for the new model, he stated it was a propitiatory tapered bore however it seems if it were tapered when people slugged their bore it would measure the smallest diameter but I hear most barrels measure out close to .314".

Anyway, its good to see Pardini is improving their product for the US bullseye market. I'll be eagerly awaiting pictures and reviews from early adopters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 pm 

zanemoseley wrote:

He said they were about to release an updated SP for Bullseye use with an integrated picatinny rail in the barrel shroud. It wasn't clear how far back the rail would extend however he did mention possibly having to use 2 scope rings on the front half of the red dot so sounds like it wouldn't extend as far as the old Larry's rail. He mentioned this would get the dot lower than if using a rail adapter. My only concern without seeing more info is possible balance issues if it requires the dot to be mounted too far forward, some of this could be offset by removing some of the 6 counterweights.

zanemoseley,

I would like to see the integrated Picatinny rail run from the muzzle all the way to the very back end of the pistol. This would then allow one to place the red dot sight at the balance point that works best for them. Yes, removing the 6 counterweights could help with balance issues. But what do you do if this is not enough?

I prefer having the weight of the pistol balanced back into the hand. Other shooters favor a muzzle heavy feel. A full length rail would accommodate everybody!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:59 am 

Actually based on the measurements we have taken, having a scope mounted at the front brings some of the balance from the muzzle (becasue of the weights) back to around the area of the trigger.

If you remove the weights all together, then the balance will be a little further back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am 

It seems like it would be relatively straight forward to attach a sight rail to the shrouds on an existing SP/HP? Attach from the front sight with another screw back an inch or so. Then, one could determine the length they wanted.