Whats the latest and greatest Pardini scope mount?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

zanemoseley

Whats the latest and greatest Pardini scope mount?

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm still kicking around the idea of buying a SP 22/32 combo. I've read the factory cut dovetail on the frame sucks pretty bad, especially with 32acp. I take it Pardini hasn't done anything earth shattering to improve things have they?

The options I've read about to mount red dots are as follows:

- Buy (2) front rings from Warne that are intended for the CZ550 rifle, the rear ring is not usable due to a recoil lug. I've heard if you order directly from Warne they will sell the front rings only.

- Buy the Larry's Guns Weaver rail that bolts to the shroud. Seems like I read there is one with just the Weaver rail and one with irons integrated on the rail as well. What I'm not clear on is earlier SP models use one existing tapped hole in the shroud but the second tapped hole had to be added by a gunsmith. Seems like I read that newer SP's have some sort of plug that can be removed to access the second tapped hole so would require modification of the pistol. Perhaps someone with a newer SP could clairify.

- BME Mounts has an option that is quite pricey at $160 each. It appears to be a replacement shroud that has an integrated rail. I'm not clear on if it replaces the existing shroud or goes over it, my guess is that it replaces it as you have to ship the barrel and shroud to them for fitting and they claim a weight reduction.

The rail options that fit on the shroud are pretty nice as you can have a red dot for each barrel so you don't have to keep up with adjustments between each caliber.
Wile E Coyote

Re: Whats the latest and greatest Pardini scope mount?

Post by Wile E Coyote »

KC Crawford had posted on Bullseye-L Forum that Kodiak was working on an Aimpoint H-1/H-2 specific mount for the SP/HP. It was supposed to be ready in a couple of weeks but that was almost a month ago. Price quoted was $65. Not sure how it will perform with the HP, but it looks promising. Might want to contact KC if you intend on using a H-1/H-2.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

One thing that makes me nervous about using one dot is having to switch back and forth between 22 & 32. Typically how many elevation clicks are required when switching? Does the windage usually remain unchanged between the 2? That would seem to be more of an issues of the 2 barrels lining up properly. Honestly I've never really looked at an Aimpoint's elevation adjustment up close, does it have numbers on it similar to a Matchdot 2?
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Well I spoke with Larry's guns and they're not supporting the Pardini's anymore. They are out of stock on the rails and won't be making anymore in the future. I also noticed they don't have any Pardini guns for sale anymore. Kind of makes me wonder if Larry and Pardini got into it over something. Or perhaps he felt like he wasn't getting a fair share of the new inventory from Pardini Italy.

I saw that post on the Bullseye forum about KC's aimpoint mount for the Pardini, looks nice however I have my reservations about using 1 red dot over several calibers. Sometimes it can be tricky keeping up with changes from 25 to 50 yards but when you throw in 2 different calibers it could really get tricky. Wouldn't be too fun to be mid match and lose zero.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

zanemoseley wrote:...never really looked at an Aimpoint's elevation adjustment up close, does it have numbers on it similar to a Matchdot 2?
The Aimpoint H1 and H2 have no numbers, and don't even have a pointer (although you could easily mark one). You have to count clicks, and since they're 1/2 MOA it's a bit tricky due to only slight tactile feedback. I love the H1 on my Benelli but I rarely adjust it.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Gotta love a $600 red dot without tactile clicks, I thought it was bad the Matchdot 2 has crappy clicks but at least it's only $200. The long range shooters get pissy if it doesn't feel like breaking glass with each click on a scope.
bking

Post by bking »

zanemoseley wrote:Gotta love a $600 red dot without tactile clicks, I thought it was bad the Matchdot 2 has crappy clicks but at least it's only $200. The long range shooters get pissy if it doesn't feel like breaking glass with each click on a scope.
Aimpoints click nicely.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

My H2 has much more solid clicks than my matchdot.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I am cheap, and like reflex sights better. I Use a Burris FF3, attached easily with their standard Picatinny rail.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

If you are holding off on buying a Pardini SPBE because of the 32 ACP because of the migrating scope ring issue, you're missing-out on a fine shooting tool. Yes, the scope moves (very little per match, ca 1/2-in) and yes, this is irritating but it does not seem to affect zero much and is easily re-set. It does require checking zero, but if you are thinking about buying this gun, you already visit ranges. Mount your scope as far back in the groove on the upper frame as the mount will go; this makes it easier to re-zero your mount when it moves (mine always moves forward with the 32). Easy peasy.

And yes, there is considerable discussion re the 32 ACP load, but most of that is shooters enjoying a remarkably accurate centerfire in a recoilless caliber, fueled by reloader experimentation and the desire for perfection. (OK, there is a recoil, but if you're older like me, you won't notice it).

I use Warne picatinny steel rings on my Pardini (the low mount); you have to remove the bar meant to fit in picatinny cross slots AND you have to file the 'feet' on both sides of each ring flat to make feet edges (that grip the frame) as sharp as possible. Do this in a vice and file carefully, making sure you keep file flat on each ring mount foot. Maybe a 0.5-hr job.

IMHO, the scope to go with is the Matchdot II (I own one and two Aimpoint H2s, latter on 45s). The Matchdot is preferable because you can zero the elevation, which makes it very easy to use one scope for two calibers. If Fred Totts new mount works (looks good to me), you can try this with an Aimpoint; however, the Aimpoint elevation adjustment can't be zeroed, you have to return it to the "zero" setting for 22 (i.e., you can't easily tell how the scope is set up by just looking at it). I zero my Matchdot with the 22 at 25 yards. You have to determine how many elevation clicks to raise scope for your 32 ACP load. I raise mine 8 clicks for 25 yards and 13 clicks for 50 yards. I shoot the Travis Bullets 62-gr LSWC loaded to ~750 (I use 1.2 gr. TightWad, OAL: 0.885 to 0.900, crimp: 0.331). I keep a little table listing scope adjustments for load de jour taped to gunboat; that and 32 ACP load data attached.

As much as one can develop an attachment to an object (like your favorite canoe or fly rod), I really enjoy this pistol. It is such a joy to shoot. However, it will unveil your bad habits for all to see as well extoll your good ones. dipnet
32 ACP_load_data_by bullet.pdf
(77.88 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Attachments
Pardini_Matchdot II Settings Sheet1.pdf
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 192 times