Rebuild FAS 609 or buy an AP20 Pro?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

massrog

Rebuild FAS 609 or buy an AP20 Pro?

Post by massrog »

I have reached my limit of toys according to the wife so I need to find a budget friendly way to improve my AP situation. My FAS 609 shoots at below par velocity and inconsistent as well making ragged holes in the target and occasionally low hits as well. I contacted Domino guns and they said they could recondition the gun for approximately 200-300 euros plus shipping. By all accounts the fAS is not worth spending money on at best but I find it pleasant to shoot (if somewhat frustrating). I found that Krale in the Netherlands is selling the Hammerli AP20 Pro for just at 700 euros plus shipping. So far these two options seem to be the least expensive options open to me. I know Rover will want to chime in about SSP's and I know they shoot well but I am admittedly lazy. Has anyone here had any hands on experience with the AP20 Pro. I shoot at home and just want a PCP that will make crisp holes and maintain velocity. I shoot around 60-80 shots per night to relax and want something that will hold up for a while.
Thanks much!
Roger
massrog

Re: Rebuild FAS 609 or buy an AP20 Pro?

Post by massrog »

I screwed up and don't know how to move this to Olympic pistol! Sorry!!! Could the mods please move this?
Rover

Post by Rover »

You don't want the gun "rebuilt", you just want it fixed. I thought the price quoted was ridiculous. Find someone else to do the work. Pilk?

Once fixed, it should be good for years to come.

It only cost me about $50 to have my LPM1 SSP repaired, but it just meant replacing some O-rings. If you're too lazy to pump a SSP, give some thought to how long you'll have to work to pay the $300 repair quoted to you.
massrog

Post by massrog »

Rover wrote:You don't want the gun "rebuilt", you just want it fixed. I thought the price quoted was ridiculous. Find someone else to do the work. Pilk?

Once fixed, it should be good for years to come.

It only cost me about $50 to have my LPM1 SSP repaired, but it just meant replacing some O-rings. If you're too lazy to pump a SSP, give some thought to how long you'll have to work to pay the $300 repair quoted to you.
As always Rover great points all but I checked everyone I could find and nobody wants to touch a FAS. I like the feel of the gun but I think it may need to be retired. I will say that the price quoted was "worst case" but as we all know all factory repairs are. I read somewhere in Olympic that old pistols can get rust in the barrel and I had some when I got it could pitting slow pellets significantly?
rmca

Post by rmca »

massrog wrote: I read somewhere in Olympic that old pistols can get rust in the barrel and I had some when I got it could pitting slow pellets significantly?
No.
By the tenth shot, your barrel should be free of rust and coated with a very thin layer of lead.
Your FAS probably needs new seals to consistently give you the same velocity. A weak striker spring could also be the culprit.

Another option is to go with a second hand pistol.
With the 700 euros you were willing to pay for a new AP20 you should be able to get a decent used top tier pistol.
Check the classifieds on this forum.

Hope this helps