Problem with a Walther SSP

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

30harry

Re: Problem with a Walther SSP

Post by 30harry »

I know this is old but what I find absolutely amazing is that the gun went back to Walther TWICE and they did not catch this. Knowing the Germans, this is unbelievable.

I would think when they receive a gun back with problems they would go through each and EVERY spec on the gun to ensure it left the shop correct. I have been thinking of either a Pardini SP or the SSP. Guess which way I'm leaning now?
rgwellsjr

Post by rgwellsjr »

Since I started this thread I thought I should post the result:

After a long period of trying to isolate the problem and emails to Walther USA and Walther Germany it was decided that the only thing left to replace was the bolt. I sent the pistol back and the Smith at Walther replaced the bolt, springs and guide rods. He apparently had a little bit more tuning to do and eventually sent the pistol back to me.

The results were fantastic: I ran 250 rounds through the gun (50 rounds of 5 different brands) without a single problem. My test included CCI standard which I could never make it through a single magazine without 3 mis-fires.

It took nearly 16 months to resolve; partially because they had misdiagnosed the problem as having to do with the trigger and exacerbated by the gun working perfectly fine with certain brands/lots of ammo. For example during the summer I had a brick of SK standard plus that worked well enough that I bought a case; however the new case didn't work at all.

I'm left satisfied and pleased that the folks at Walther were determined to get the problem fixed. That and during my testing I had several clean targets in both timed and rapid fire!
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I've had a good run with my SSP but I didn't realise the main springs had become so weak. I have just replaced the recoil and hammer slide springs. The old ones were very short compared to the new ones. Difference in lock time is huge.
joel

Post by joel »

jbshooter wrote:I've had a good run with my SSP but I didn't realise the main springs had become so weak. I have just replaced the recoil and hammer slide springs. The old ones were very short compared to the new ones. Difference in lock time is huge.
Where did you buy these springs from?

TIA,

Joel
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Through a local issf equipment distributor who acts for various makes and brands of guns, ammunition and shooting accessories.
EOD

Post by EOD »

Make sure you're not actually pulling the trigger twice. If you have a trigger scale, measure the total pull, should be +/- 2.2 pounds. Make sure you still have two stages of operation. It could be too light on the second stage. I have. GSP Expert and over the course of a year, I've had two or three double shots, my fault though
David M

Post by David M »

A number of things can cause multiple discharges or slam fires.
Most common is a very fine sear set releasing on closing.
Increasing sear engagement usually solves this problem.

I have seen one caused by a broken/jammed firing pin. New pin fixed one, the other new firing pin spring and channel de-burr.

The rarer one but seen a couple of times is on a high usage pistols (rapidfire guns) the closing of the breach face caused by hammering.
With a over hard slide and a softer barrel, the rim diameter of the breech was swagged to a smaller diameter. (mushrooming)
The pistol would slamfire with some ammo but not others (different diameters on the rims).
Running a chambering reamer into the barrel fixed one gun, the other had the rim recess on the slide and it was
ground out a little with a Dremel and fine grinder tip.