Hammerli 280 problem

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

VspecII

Hammerli 280 problem

Post by VspecII »

Dear Friends,

Lack of information about Hammerli's 280 in Polish websites brought me to your forum.

Yesterday, while cleaning the gun after training I have noticed small, but worrisome crack on the upper of my .22 system. It starts from edge of ejecting port and it goes to front sight. Its about 1/4 of an inch long, its visible only in very good light.

Gun was produced in 1991, so it is the first version of H280 (single screw system). 32 caliber upper is in good condition, no cracking etc. I've heard something about cracking lower around the magwell, but at this point it looks good. Gun is accurate and it runs all brands of ammo with no issues.

Is it something to worry about? I'm waiting for your opinions
Best Regards

Michal

P.S Sorry for the photo, I'm really poor artist :(
Attachments
H280.jpg
PFribley

Re: Hammerli 280 problem

Post by PFribley »

Larrys Guns here in the USA is the hammerli guru.Try contacting him.
BEA

Post by BEA »

Definitely don't go on my word. I know nothing about the 280. However, my guess is that this crack will just keep on going unless you drill a small hole at the very end of it to stop the progression. But once again, wait for some others to weigh in.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think BEA is right; it's a standard technique. Don't try it on your windshield, though.
VspecII

Post by VspecII »

At this moment , I will observe this crack. If it become bigger upper will be disassembled, and this cover will bi drilled at the end, and reinforced with carbon fibre with epoxy from the bottom of upper cover

Big thanks for ideas and response!

Michal
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

VspecII wrote:At this moment , I will observe this crack. If it become bigger upper will be disassembled, and this cover will bi drilled at the end, and reinforced with carbon fibre with epoxy from the bottom of upper cover

Big thanks for ideas and response!

Michal
Probably not worth reinforcing. It wants to flex and bend. Let it. You just want to stop the crack spreading.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607