Red dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jerber

Red dot

Post by jerber »

I'm thinking of getting a red dot for my Benelli MP 90
But don't know much about them
I know I need an adapter from LGI to mount the red dot
Other than that
What should I look for on choosing a red dot?
Do the red dots from LGI worth it? And whitch one should I get?
Thanks
Jerry
Christopher Miceli

Re: Red dot

Post by Christopher Miceli »

On the line @ perry you will see mostly Ultradots or aimpoints. Common ultradot are 1" ,30mm, matchdot,matchdot II.

Aimpoints micro h-1,9000sc

Price between the two brands is noticeable
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

You could also look at the HolosunHS403C weighs 94g or so, battery and solar lasts 50K hours (so they say). Their design is pretty aimpoint-like but around $250 or so. They are well machined. I think they are OK (I don't think the zero wonders around) and are very light (if weight is a problem).

Worth dipping your toe into the water. If you are into UltradotIIs - pm me as I have a couple lying around.

~zip
jerber

Post by jerber »

I know
There's no such thing as a dumb question right?
So here we go
What's the difference between,
Red dot
Match dot
Match dot II
Ultra dot
Ultra dot II
Aimpoint
And whatever else?
And whitch one do I need for bullseye shooting indoor?
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

They are all types of red dot - different makes and models. They are all variants of a LED emitter (which is red (in general)) and the LED light is reflected into your field of view via an invisible mirror in the internal optics of the sight. Shooting (usually with both eyes open), focusing on the target, you will see the dot superimposed on the target. It is not a laser (which illuminates the target), just a red dot indicating the impact point in your field of view. It is a very different technique from iron sights (where you focus on the sights not the target) as the dot bounces around somewhat disconcertingly.

I am not an expert in these matters and there are plenty contributing here that are - so please chime in with the authoritative version.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go to Amazon or EBay. Buy the cheapest you can find that will fit your gun. I bought three for $25 each that I put on springer air rifles. They are all working perfectly. An Ultradot on my .22 pistol had to be replaced.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

If your shooting 22 pretty much any dot works. I know a few masters with the micro bushnell. If it's going on a slide mount 45 atleast get a ultradot...i don't shoot ultradots, I shoot the aimpoint h-1 they are spendy but the best out there
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

All you need to mount a scope on a Benelli is rings. Bear in mind that different guns have different width where the rings have to fit. The Benelli is narrower than the standard width and I think is the same as air pistol width but check to make sure. I have a 22 95 and a 32 90 both with just rings.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

jerber wrote:I know
There's no such thing as a dumb question right?

And whitch one do I need for bullseye shooting indoor?

jerber,

Nearly all of my Bullseye shooting has been done indoors. One league I was in conducted matches at a 50 foot range, while another one shot on a 25 yard facility.

I've been using Ultradot 25 Sights for 16 years. Am very happy with this brand. Here are some of what I think are it's advantages:

1.) All Ultradots come with a lifetime warranty.

2.) This sight has 11 brightness settings to chose from. By manually rotating a dial, you can select the one that is suitable for the current lighting conditions.

3.) Ultradots are sometimes referred to as "tube type sights". I find this to be a benefit as it makes finding the dot quicker and easier during sustained fire.

4.) To make sight corrections, just remove the protective cap and turn the adjusting screws directly. They have click detents which can be heard and felt.

5.) Sight settings are very repeatable. These sights do hold "zero" very well.

6.) Some makes have an auto brightness feature. This type does not allow the dot to be made dimmer or brighter as may be desired. What you see is what you get!

7.) Other sights are of a "heads up design". An example would be the Burris Fast Fire II. Tried one once and had a little trouble locating the dot after each shot.

8.) Some brands have locking screws that must be loosened before/tightened after making windage and elevation adjustments.

9.) If their adjusting screws don't have click detents, there is an awful lot of guessing involved when making sight corrections.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I feel like the earlier Ultradot scopes were the best that could be bought. It was the Tasco PDP3 before that because it had the least amount of parallax available but the Matchdot was even better when it came out. Lately when looking through the newer Matchdot scopes the image appears to be smaller than reality. One of my friends who has shot in the top 10 at camp Perry talked about this to me last night and when he contacted the sellers, they said that sometimes the lenses get put in backwards which to me is just trying to step away from something that is manufactured incorrectly. I have two old scopes and two newer ones and the image is clearly different and smaller in the new ones. I have had adjustment problems with these scopes and they did fix them when they were sent in but I always got griped at and told there was nothing wrong with them and when I got them back they were fixed. My friend suggested that the next time I wanted a scope to buy a Sightron. I didn't even know they made one but if a guy that can shoot like he can would rather have a Sightron, I think I will too.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Thanks for the info
I already got the adapter from LGI
I am looking at ultra dot
Don't want to spend too much right now
I would like to stay within $50-$150 range
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I think a sightron is cheaper than an ultradot.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

I have never shot indoors. How do you learn what to do when it rains or how to handle wind?

I own a Matchdot II and an Aimpoint and really like them both. However, the less expensive Matchdot II gets my nod because you can zero the elevation, very handy if you shoot different calibers with same pistol (i.e., conversions). I use the Aimpoint for my 45, in which I've developed long and short line loads with near-identical points of impact by using different loads (long line: 185 Zero JHP, 4.5-grains VV N310, Win or Fed primer, OAL=1.20, crimp=0.469 [silly accurate~AMU load]; short line: 185 Zero LSWC-HP, 3.8-grain Bullseye, OAL=1.215, crimp and primers same). The latter load has less recoil and easier to get dot back in the black in rapid fire. This is for a 6-inch 1911 using an 11-pound spring. dipnet
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

A few months ago I purchased two Holosun HS403GL's to install on my M52 and Clark long slide.
Both installed on Kodiak bases and pressed on a set of sun shades/extensions only on the front end of both that fit the Aimpoint H1's.

Finally had a chance to sight them in today(but still colder than heck at 16 degrees) Laughing

No issues on the M52, cycled and functioned fine with my usual 2.8gr of BE loads.
No issues with the sight running 46 rounds through it.

Also no issues on the .45 with my usual 4.8gr of BE under 185gr Noslers.
Ran 100 rounds.

Not enough shots to conclude anything but just to give the information out there.

Used to have an H1 on my .45 a few years ago, sold it because of the tail hanging down from the dot.
My UD's were always round dots.
Funny thing is that the Holosuns have the little tail hanging down also and now my only UD I use on my Marvel conversion has a tail now.
Hell to get older.

But; using an EyePal makes the dots perfectly round again.
YMMV

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I have two MP90s, 32 and 22. My LGS is going to make small mounts which will replace the rear iron sight, so that I can attach a Burris FF3 dot sight (rear sight can be re0installed easily later if desired). He has looked at the pistols and does not view this as difficult. I like it for a few reasons. 1) I have several Burrus FF3 MOA3 dot sights and like them. 2. It will be less expensive (the mount from Larry;s is $170 plus shipping, 3. Weight. Larry's mount plus an Ultradot Matchdot II is close to a pound! I like 3 oz at the rear of the pistol better. I do have several Ultradot Matchdot IIs, they are nice.....just heavy.

Burris makes such a rear sight mount for many guns (other than the MP90) and I have this system on my 208 as well as my Glock34 and STI. Just another alternative.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Make sure that your Benelli pistols don't have the grooves in them for a scope. There are very few of these models around as most of them have grooves which makes it only necessary to use standard rings that are for a 22. All early and late models have the grooves and only a few in the middle don't have them.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

oldcaster wrote:Make sure that your Benelli pistols don't have the grooves in them for a scope. There are very few of these models around as most of them have grooves which makes it only necessary to use standard rings that are for a 22. All early and late models have the grooves and only a few in the middle don't have them.
Thx OC, my understanding was early models no grooves. I think someone from Larry's told me Mine are early Models (as far as I can tell) and do not have the grooves. Glad you made a point of it though, I forgot that many came with grooves.

Sure nice guns! I'm just getting used to the grip angle, which for me is more extreme than anything I'd shot before.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I had problems with alibis with my 95 22 and had to put a piece of sheetmetal between the rings to deflect the empties sideways. Problems are gone. From what I gather from your posts, you shouldn't have that problem since your scope will be behind the ejection area but if anyone else has the problem this is a solution which may help on different pistols also.
jerber

Post by jerber »

I received my ultra dot early this week
I had to get the adapter from LGI
Works good however it does makes the pistol heavier
Don't know if I like it but I guess I just need to get used to it
Already tried it and what a difference!
My eyes must be getting old!

I do have a question for those of you that have the same set up
Is it safe to remove the adapter with red dot so that I can put my mp90 back in its case?
The whole set up won't fit in the case
Will I loose major adjustments?
Thanks
Jerry
Rover

Post by Rover »

Get a hatchet!

BTW Clarence, that "tail" you see coming off your dot means (gasp!) astigmatism. Try a new scrip for your glasses.
Last edited by Rover on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.