LP50 for timed and rapid training

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Capebbr

LP50 for timed and rapid training

Post by Capebbr »

I shoot a Walther gsp at weekly bullseye matches at a local club where I am on the waiting list to become a member. I do not have range access outside the matches and practice with a izh46 equipped with a custom grip made by Andrew Berryhill to replicate my gsp grip. Practice with the izh46 has helped significantly and my slow fire scores are in the low 90s but I struggle with timed and rapid.

I have been looking into the Lp50 compact to practice rapid in my basement. I have questions about how well the lp50 will replicate the muzzle lift of my gsp. I do not have any plans to attempt CF or 45. How effective is the porting? Has anyone attempted to tune it to maximize muzzle flip?
6string

Re: LP50 for timed and rapid training

Post by 6string »

Hi,
I have used the older LP5 for similar purposes, and can offer my own subjective opinions.
There is not much in the way of recoil. And, of course, no muzzle blast. I also do my AP training with ear protection, just to eliminate as much of the distraction as possible. The real advantage is not in "replicating" live fire with a cartridge operated pistol, as much as it is working on technique (follow through and cadence being of significant importance). Every little error is self evident. A good five shot string really feels good: effortless and confidence building! Rapid/timed training with a five shooter AP is really, for me, about making the fire sequence as subconscious as possible with as much attention to detail as possible.
Personally, I find too much of Bullseye training to be based around "negatives" i.e.: "getting used to" recoil, or 1911 grip angle. But, that's just me!
Oh yes, for the LP5, I also use the anatomic target grips, not the 1911 adaptor. Since you don't plan on shooting CF at the moment, that might not even be a consideration for you.

(As an aside, since you shoot a GSP, I have to ask, have you ever shot an OSP? I'm not suggesting getting one, but they are fantastic and fun! I used one with a full wrap-around fitted grip and 100 gram trigger. With the ported barrel and 22 shorts, using it for rapid/timed fire was sheer child's play. Plus, I had the dry fire training trigger. Cock it and click off five dry shots. What a great training tool!)

Best wishes with your training and shooting endeavors!
Jim
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

Jim did a really good job, in my opinion, describing what you will gain from an LP50. The recoil of the GSP is not what is holding you back from shooting top scores. To even consider recoil as something that has to be overcome is simply focusing on the wrong thing, that will work itself out with more rounds downrange. To alter the LP50 would be foolish. The big gain that can transfer from AP to any other pistol is improving your hold, follow through, trigger control and most importantly being able to do it daily. The repeater will allow you to ingrain a timed/rapid shot process more quickly but lots of people use a single shot AP to practice for timed and rapid.
Neil H

Post by Neil H »

I use the LP50 for timed and rapid fire training in my basement also. I previously posted some info on

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50933

Because there is no recoil I found that I was done shooting rapid fire early, I only practice rapid fire with mine and not timed fire. To compensate for no recoil I set my rapid fire timer to 8 sec. this forces me to be aggressive on trigger and if I hesitate a little longer on a shot I run out of time. For me this seemed more like shooting in a real match.

Since you shoot a GSP I would keep using the anatomical grips of the LP50. I have the long barrel on my LP50 so with the 1911 replacement grip it didn't feel right to me. The compact probably would be different though. I also added a red dot sight to mine since I use a red dot with my other guns. Here is a link to how I set mine up.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52245

I like using mine for practice when I can't make it to the range.
Neil
6string

Post by 6string »

Just to emphasize what Neil said, I too found the 1911 grip adapter to be counter productive. With the long barrel and balance point being more forward than with an actual 1911, not to mention the completely different operating characteristics of the trigger, it just felt wrong.
Besides, the anatomical grips feel great!
Why ride the bus when you can drive a Rolls Royce?
Neil H

Post by Neil H »

6string wrote:Just to emphasize what Neil said, I too found the 1911 grip adapter to be counter productive. With the long barrel and balance point being more forward than with an actual 1911, not to mention the completely different operating characteristics of the trigger, it just felt wrong.
Tha's what I experienced too
Capebbr

Post by Capebbr »

Thank you all very much for your comments. They were enough to convince me to give the LP50 a try. Now I just need to wait for the brown truck to arrive next week.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Warning...I just bought one this summer and found it addicting. Roughly 6,000 pellets later my bullseye pistols are crying for attention.

Chip
Chia

Post by Chia »

ChipEck wrote:Warning...I just bought one this summer and found it addicting. Roughly 6,000 pellets later my bullseye pistols are crying for attention.

Chip
Now all we have to do to lure you to the dark side is convince you that slowfire should be done with air pistols at 10 meters (with a few more shots and with a single-shot LP50...), and you'll have to start posting in the olympic pistol forum.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

The air pistol will help you with follow through. You can run alot of one shot drills with a IZZY46 and one shot drills are good practice.

Get the USMC workbook, read the AMU guide and see if you can find a local mentor. Those will do you more good, faster in my opinion than any particular gun.

Now that you have the LP50, I would still focus on delivering precise single shots. Again look at the exercises in the Workbook, they are not easy starting out, but they were designed to take shooters with limited experience who performed well in Division matches and make them 2600 and 2650 bullseye shooters by the time that they completed the book. You can find a link on the Bullseye forums, under the fundamentals section.

Good Luck.

Mike Davis
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Chia wrote:
ChipEck wrote:Warning...I just bought one this summer and found it addicting. Roughly 6,000 pellets later my bullseye pistols are crying for attention.

Chip
Now all we have to do to lure you to the dark side is convince you that slowfire should be done with air pistols at 10 meters (with a few more shots and with a single-shot LP50...), and you'll have to start posting in the olympic pistol forum.
I am there. In fact, with some help, I am running a 10m air pistol match. This Spring in Wisconsin. Could. Not find a single air pistol match in Wisconsin nor Minnesota. Found a league Wednesday nights in Minnesota.

I ordered an Evo e already.

Chip
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I use my LP5 and have 25 foot targets so they are the right size to shoot in a basement.
mprince

Post by mprince »

FYI

Pilkguns has these back in stock now. Less the one that showed up at my house yesterday, that is.