Newbie Questions - Big Hole or Small Hole?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

geoexchange

Newbie Questions - Big Hole or Small Hole?

Post by geoexchange »

I've shot our local bullseye pistol league in the past, but after a couple of years I'm getting back into it again....

When I was shooting, it was a centerfire/open sight only league. Now they allow 22lr (or any caliber for that matter) with open sights.

I went to practice with my (slightly modified) Buckmark today and found that I shot as good or slightly better than I normally shoot with my 1911. I'm very out of practice, so accuracy between the pistols was really negligible.

I understand that 22lr is cheaper to shoot, but my reloads for 45ACP aren't that expensive and it's not that many rounds per week. I'm not very concerned about economics for this.

My question is, which would most prefer for the best returned score? The .22 is -slightly- easier and slightly more accurate for me to shoot. I shoot the 1911 well, and probably shoot it more than any other platform. I carry a 1911 24/7. The Buckmark is really nice, and I'm sure it's a better shooter than I am.

Do the bigger holes of the 45 give me an advantage, or does the -slightly- easier to shoot Buckmark give me the advantage? I guess the question is, bigger holes or smaller holes???

Thanks!
SlartyBartFast

Re: Newbie Questions - Big Hole or Small Hole?

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Same target, same distance, same precision and accuracy...

Bigger holes might break the inner rings for a higher score.

And with that facetious answer, I'll now leave it to people who know what they're talking about to provide an answer.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I suspect it is the shooter. For me my .32 ACP is the most accurate, especially at 50 yards. Next is .22 followed by my .45 ACP. I shoot Pardinis for .22 and .32 and a custom built Crawford for .45

Chip
dronning

Post by dronning »

For those that aren't High Masters the accuracy and ease of shooting the 22 will lead to a higher score. Look at the scores of the High Masters and you will see nearly identical scores. Sometime the 45 scores are higher sometime the 22.

The tighter group of the 22 <.75" gives it an advantage over the 45 >1.25". The bullet size advantage is there but only if you can't keep them in the middle. With the same exact center of shot the .45 only gets you .23" closer to the scoring ring because of it's larger diameter. The trigger difference of the 22 @ 2lb verses the 45 @ 3 1/2lb will take away the .23" advantage of the 45.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dronning wrote:With the same exact center of shot the .45 only gets you .23" closer to the scoring ring because of it's larger diameter.
Surely that should be .115"
aprilian

Post by aprilian »

David Levene wrote:
dronning wrote:With the same exact center of shot the .45 only gets you .23" closer to the scoring ring because of it's larger diameter.
I did the math too and came up with 1/2 of (.45-.22) or the same as you
dronning

Post by dronning »

aprilian wrote:
David Levene wrote:
I did the math too and came up with 1/2 of (.45-.22) or the same as you
yep .115", math at 3:30am with no sleep in 36hrs isn't quite up to speed.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
geoexchange

Post by geoexchange »

So, if my group size is fairly close to the same, there would be a benefit to using the .45?

For some reason, I seem to shoot the 1911 as well as my Buckmark. I can't really see much of a difference (other than bigger holes) in the group size. I'm not anywhere near the top shooters, and I need to re-learn what my eyes and hands have forgotten. I'm just looking for any advantage. 5-shot averages in low 40's - 25 yard B-4 Slow Fire target. Small bull, small rings, small black. In the past, to be even slightly competitive, all shots have to stay in the black. Standard scoring - breaking a ring, etc.

I did learn that after being out of it for a few years, it may take a while to get it back. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to avoid working harder??? Most everyone has switched to 22lr, but I think it's more for cost than anything else. I may just use the 22 for the first couple of weeks, then switch to the 45 to see what my scores do.
geoexchange

Post by geoexchange »

Edit - B2 target, not B4.