.32 H&N bullets unobtainable; next best for .32swl? Lapua?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

sparky

.32 H&N bullets unobtainable; next best for .32swl? Lapua?

Post by sparky »

Since H&N .32 wadcutters are now as rare as hen's teeth, what's the next best thing for someone who has a stock Pardini HP32 barrel and who isn't willing to cast/swage their own bullets? Anyone try the Lapua wadcutters? If so, how were your results at 50 yards?
Last edited by sparky on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFribley

Re: .32 H&N bullets unobtainable; next best for .32swl? Lapu

Post by PFribley »

I have been using the lapua 83gr wadd cutters in .313.The 83s seemed to shoot better. I never shot them at 50yds. For my use the swagged ones worked best. Nothing against the cast wads. The cast wadds seemed to foul the throat faster. I also used the H&N. Another brand I used and liked were the hornaday swagged wads. They seem hard to find also. Used the sierras also. Give the lapuas a try.
sobakavitch

. . . .

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparky

Post by sparky »

sobakavitch wrote:Speer (4600), Magnus, and Penn bullets all work very well for Bullseye @ 25 and 50 yards.

The trick with .32 S&W Long is finding the right load for your pistol regardless of what bullet you choose and then making the loads very, very consistent with the bullet, the amount of powder, the crimp, the seating depth, and how you hold your tongue while reloading.

Dave Wilson recommended 1.6 BE Speer for the barrel he made for my Pardini SP. His barrel tester kept them all well inside the X-ring @ 50 yards.

I have found that 1.3 N310 Speer 98 works extremely well in my Pardini SP New. I have also found that the Speer bullet seems a bit better than the Lapua for me. The Speer/N310 load also worked very well in my GSP Expert with a Wilson barrel.

Availability of Speer can be spotty but available if you periodically check various distributors. Got my last order from Cheaper Than Dirt. The others seem to be readily available. Penn will cast in whatever diameter you want. Don't know about Magnus. I think with Speer is you get what they make and that is it.

Don't know anything about the production at Speer, but Magnus and Penn are run by very knowledgeable and experienced people.

A phone call to Penn can be very helpful and educational.
What about for folks who don't have Wilson barrels? How well will these group at 50 yards?
sobakavitch

. . . .

Post by sobakavitch »

. . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

[/quote]

What about for folks who don't have Wilson barrels? How well will these group at 50 yards?[/quote]

They all seem to vary a bit but if you stick with what is necessary they will do fine. A load that is around 720 FPs, a soft bullet that measures at least .313 and better .314. A .314 expander that expands the case the full length of the bullet. I only got good results with a roll crimp but others did better with taper crimp so you will have to try both if you aren't successful the first time. I cast my own Saeco #323 bullets but if you can't do this, my friends when they can't talk me into making some bullets for them used Speer when they also couldn't get H&N. My best was 1.6 of AA#2 but others have done well with VV powders and both Titegroup and Titewad. It is important to have good brass of all the same kind. I like Remington best and then Magtech or Lapua. FC was the worst because it was so hard and unforgiving. If you load with a Dillon a unitek powder measure is a good idea because of the small amount of powder that is dropped.